Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Blown up 2.5

999 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Darkhematite 
#1 ·
Ok, I hate to ask but I have looked for two weeks and cannot find what I'm looking for. I have blown up the 2.5 in my little YJ. I have an offer for a ford 3.0 V6 from a 87 Ranger that was wrecked. The guy says it will bolt up the the motor mounts and to the little AX-5 transmission. I thought about swapping in a 4.0 but I really don't have the time or the skills to do this right now but maybe later. What I have is the small I4 with a 5 seed transmission. This new engine is a ford 3.0 V6 with wire harness and Duraspark Module, it's also a carberated motor where mine is fuel injected, and I don't yet know what it will take to change over to carburated. Any help you can offer would be great. and Thank you in advance.

#4 ·
hehe, it a decent little torque monster if you do some mods during the rebuild. Stroke it and Bore it. :) I am bored 80 over. The guy did the measurements along all the cylinders and found it was safe to do it at that and even 90, but he wasn't going to risk going 90 with it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. Driving to work a couple of weeks ago I heard a knocking. Before I could pull over the knocking got a lot worse. By the time I could get out of the road the knocking had stopped after a god awful noise and when I got out to survey the damage there was a soup can sized hole in the block close to the bottom on the drivers side, and another dime sized hole straight out the bottom of the oil pan. I'm thinking piston head and rod. So I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause. If this ford engine will work and is easy to swap over I'll put it in because he is selling it pretty cheap and it's an easy fix to get it running again. But If i can't find that it will work I'll just put another 2.5 in it for now and start gathering parts to put in a whole new drive line. I'll give it one thing. The little 2.5 has started 7 times to move it, and even loaded itself on and off a trailer twice. Had to use 4 low but it got up there. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.