Blown up 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Blown up 2.5

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Darkhematite

Blown up 2.5

Ok, I hate to ask but I have looked for two weeks and cannot find what I'm looking for. I have blown up the 2.5 in my little YJ. I have an offer for a ford 3.0 V6 from a 87 Ranger that was wrecked. The guy says it will bolt up the the motor mounts and to the little AX-5 transmission. I thought about swapping in a 4.0 but I really don't have the time or the skills to do this right now but maybe later. What I have is the small I4 with a 5 seed transmission. This new engine is a ford 3.0 V6 with wire harness and Duraspark Module, it's also a carberated motor where mine is fuel injected, and I don't yet know what it will take to change over to carburated. Any help you can offer would be great. and Thank you in advance.

Darkhematite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm... I am a little sceptical about that because Ford and GM used 2 different mount patterns. AMC used a GM pattern.

How bad did you blow it up? Depending on how bad it is, it could be rebuilt for less than it would take to do the engine swap.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Beefalobart
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Spend a little extra time and consider a V8 swap or just go get a rebuilt/used 2.5 The litle 2.5 may not be a huge fire breathing monster but honestly consider if it does what you need it to do.
Beefalobart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefalobart View Post
Spend a little extra time and consider a V8 swap or just go get a rebuilt/used 2.5 The litle 2.5 may not be a huge fire breathing monster but honestly consider if it does what you need it to do.
hehe, it a decent little torque monster if you do some mods during the rebuild. Stroke it and Bore it. :-) I am bored 80 over. The guy did the measurements along all the cylinders and found it was safe to do it at that and even 90, but he wasn't going to risk going 90 with it.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Darkhematite

Thanks for the info. Driving to work a couple of weeks ago I heard a knocking. Before I could pull over the knocking got a lot worse. By the time I could get out of the road the knocking had stopped after a god awful noise and when I got out to survey the damage there was a soup can sized hole in the block close to the bottom on the drivers side, and another dime sized hole straight out the bottom of the oil pan. I'm thinking piston head and rod. So I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause. If this ford engine will work and is easy to swap over I'll put it in because he is selling it pretty cheap and it's an easy fix to get it running again. But If i can't find that it will work I'll just put another 2.5 in it for now and start gathering parts to put in a whole new drive line. I'll give it one thing. The little 2.5 has started 7 times to move it, and even loaded itself on and off a trailer twice. Had to use 4 low but it got up there.
Darkhematite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.