Blown motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Blown motor

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-17-2003, 06:43 PM   #1
outlaw351

Blown motor

My wife just blew the motor in her 98 wrangler . What year engines can I install without any problems? Any recommendations on what I should do? Since it is her jeep and she hates to get it dirty (I know...why did you buy a jeep honey if I can not take it off-road?) I don't want to put anything larger than a 4.0. Thanks.

outlaw351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
Quan

how'd she blow it? hydrolock? throw a rod? just curious. Depending what engine was in there before you can put the same one in. Any of the 4.0s from the 90 YJ/XJ/TJ will work. Preferrably the same model as yours, but most will work fine. I know in some of the later TJ's they changed some stuff, but im not sure how much it will affect it.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
outlaw351

"How did she blow the engine?" Well, this will piss you off. While on the interstate going 70mph, a light came on on the dash that said to "check gages" or something to that effect. She said her oil pressure gage was moving up and down. She said soon after there were loud noises coming from the engine . THEN she decided to pull off the road ; however, before she could get on the shoulder of the road, there was a loud bang and smoke pouring from under the hood . When I looked at the jeep there was that dreadful looking piston rod sticking out of the side of the block . It had the 4 cylinders in it, will putting the 4.0 in it hook up to the tranny and everything else? Thanks for any help anyone can give. We are on a budget (I am a full time student so there is only her income). The only good news is that she was able to control the jeep after the tragic incident and she did not panic and roll it .
outlaw351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 12:15 PM   #4
hjeepxj

jeezus! I have heard of 300,000 miles on 4.0s, and they still ran okay...

any HO 4.0 will work (from a tj or yj, 91+)

not sure on xj and zj motors though, they might have different motor mounts...

hjeepxj0.tripod.com

"Im okay, im alright, just might get a little high tonight, im okay, im alright, CARRY ON!"

-Pat Green
hjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
knight

your oil pressure sending unit probably blew . I had that about a year ago . I was driving down the highway and the pressure started to go up and down . then oil started coming out . I didn't end up killing my engine thank god .
Unread 02-19-2003, 07:06 AM   #6
blackbelt
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was going to say that one almost has to try to cook a 4.0. But she blew the 4 banger.
2006 Scion xB
1987 VW Wolfsburg Cabriloet
1969 SAAB 96 V4
blackbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
Quan

that SUCKS! i threw 3 rods on my 4.0 but i think it was caused by water in the engine (shhhh) . I had been hit a few days before so i got insurance to pay for my new 4.0! WHAT LUCK!!! anywho.... women arent very good about paying attention to idiot lights.... (hence the name maybe?) the tranny on the 2.5 equipped jeep CAN handle the 4.0 if shes easy on the stupid pedal. might consider an entire drivetrain swap.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
rtroha

I don't know what the emission laws are where you are at but here in Ohio, you have to replace the engine with an engine that is at least as new as the original engine. So you'd have to use a 98 or newer engine. I'm running into the same issues because I put a 304 out or a 79 CJ in my 83 CJ so I have to try and make it emissions legal without anybody noticing that you couldn't get a 304 in a 83 CJ5. Good luck.

Bob
rtroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2003, 07:30 AM   #9
blackbelt
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by rtroha
I don't know what the emission laws are where you are at but here in Ohio, you have to replace the engine with an engine that is at least as new as the original engine. So you'd have to use a 98 or newer engine. I'm running into the same issues because I put a 304 out or a 79 CJ in my 83 CJ so I have to try and make it emissions legal without anybody noticing that you couldn't get a 304 in a 83 CJ5. Good luck.

Bob
I feel sorry for any schmuck government bureaucrat who tries to tell me what engine i can put in MY vehicle!!!!
Good for you for doing the engine swap YOUR way!
2006 Scion xB
1987 VW Wolfsburg Cabriloet
1969 SAAB 96 V4
blackbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 12:05 AM   #10
jeepster18_88

If your worried about money, just replace the 4 banger with one of its own. Since she doesn't off-road, then she doesn't need big tires or extra horse power to pull them. I assume she doesn't pull a trailer very often either. LOL

Look, if you just get a rebuilt 2.5L put in, it will probably cost between $2k and $2,500. The of the 4.0L would probably be the same, but for a 4.0L swap, you'll have to change the computer and fuel injection, not to mention other little things (like sensors, exhaust, etc.) that may be different between the two motors. The cost of these things on top of the price just for the motor and install won't fit into most "budgets."

My suggestion is to find several shops and get estimates from each one for both engines. Then you can decide for yourself what you want for your budget.

Personally I couldn't see wasting extra money for hp that's not going to be used.

Unread 02-23-2003, 10:39 AM   #11
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by hjeepxj
any HO 4.0 will work (from a tj or yj, 91+)

not sure on xj and zj motors though, they might have different motor mounts...
He has a 4 cylinder, not a 4.0. Bolting in a 4.0 isn't quite bolt in. Different motor mounts, different bellhousing bolt pattern, different tranny input shaft, different engine electronics. Best bet is a rebuilt 4 cylinder.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 01:10 PM   #12
hjeepxj

Quote:
Originally posted by CSP

He has a 4 cylinder, not a 4.0. Bolting in a 4.0 isn't quite bolt in. Different motor mounts, different bellhousing bolt pattern, different tranny input shaft, different engine electronics. Best bet is a rebuilt 4 cylinder.
dam, i must have missed that...

hjeepxj0.tripod.com

"Im okay, im alright, just might get a little high tonight, im okay, im alright, CARRY ON!"

-Pat Green
hjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
Intrepidjeep

My father still has his '93 GC 4.0L with 92,000 miles on it now, but believe it or not it has a 1998 4.0L short block!

Somewhere around 68,000 miles the 4.0L threw a rod -- when he called the dealer for a tow, they didn't believe him saying that it had thrown a rod, because the 4.0L engines just aren't known for that. The 2.5L engines are known for throwing a rod once in a while, but not the 4.0L's.

Long story short, they found that they could see a defect in the thrown rod that had caused the breakage. They showed it to him -- basically a pit or bubble in the cross-section at the breakage. Chrysler put in a 1998 short-block assembly under extended warranty. He was told at the time that it would have cost about $3500.

They had made some refinements to the 4.0L so he was actually pleased to have the new mill.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2003, 11:01 AM   #14
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Re: Blown motor

Quote:
Originally posted by outlaw351
My wife just blew the motor in her 98 wrangler . What year engines can I install without any problems? Any recommendations on what I should do? Since it is her jeep and she hates to get it dirty (I know...why did you buy a jeep honey if I can not take it off-road?) I don't want to put anything larger than a 4.0. Thanks.
Easiest would be to visit the dealership - and see if you can get the engine replaced under warranty. I had a car that they replaced the engine on because the main-bearing spun-out and destroyed the poor 4-banger.

Second easiest would be to swap a 4-banger from a wrecked TJ into the rig ... plug in and go.

Good luck on gettin' it fixed.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2003, 11:09 AM   #15
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Check this site too. I don't know anything about them but I found this the other day. It doesn't list anything about the wrangler but you might be able to call them and see if they have the motors. The rebuilt AMC 150 goes for about 1000 bucks! might be worth a shot but it could also be you get what you pay for??????

http://www.rebuilt-jeep-engines.com/
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.