Blown motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Blown motor

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

Blown motor

if an engine over heats and locks up how difficult is it to repair? not sure if it a 4 cylinder or 6. Also not sure how it over heated. (My buddys 97 TJ) heard he blew it up from his mother.

Might offer him some help fixing it/swapping a new motor. Thanks for the help all.

Unread 02-01-2006, 01:44 AM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is it an auto or a manual? Start by pulling the spark plugs and flooding the cylinders with penetrating oil.
Unread 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
bobjp

You may be able to get it unlocked by doing what mgertsch says. But if you do get it unlocked, you will probably experience oil burning and/or knocking and/or low compression and the engine won't last much longer. To repair it you would have to remove the engine and completely rebuild it purchasing all new gaskets, bearings, maybe cam/lifter, and piston rings. You will also have to have machine work done. It is hard to say without pulling it apart.
If it turns out that it is locked up, I would just buy a used low mileage engine from a junkyard and swap it in. It will be cheaper more than likely and definitely less time consuming.
bobjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

If it just over heated and quit then the motor isn't blown. If it over heated and went poof and oil and parts went everywhere then its blown...

I would drain the fluids and inspect them for contamination of oil or antifreeze in either or. You could just put a breaker bar on the crank and roll it over. Drop the pan and see if there is any visible damage if you don't feel anything rolling it over or see and damage I would fill it back up and crank it over and see if it starts...Hell you mights just have a bad oil pump. Youcan run it for a little bit before it heats up to casue damage and by then you can usually figure it out...

Last edited by 98JEEPTJ; 02-03-2006 at 10:10 AM..
98JEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Fullsize_CJ5

If the engine got hot enuff to seize up there could any number of problems. Cracked or warped head, If it hydro-locked (from liquid in the cylinders) it could have broken rings, bent or broken connecting rods. I'd check that engine very close before i put any money in it. It could be fine and dandy, just fix why it overheated in the first place and drive on. But you never can tell without a good inspection.
79 CJ 5, fiberglass tub on a cut down full size chevy frame. Full width axles GM 14 bolt in the rear. Dana 60 up front both with 5.38 gears. 350/400 turbo, np205 transfer case. Custom built modified 3 link rear coil spring suspension in the back, skyjacker leafs in the front. 44X18.5 gumbo mudders. 104" wheelbase hood and doghouse stretched 13" . ramsey 8000lb winch.
Fullsize_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

thanks for all your input...will try and check the Jeep out this week.
Unread 02-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
jwicker

I have an 87 258 just pulled from my YJ is great working order for sale.
It was rebuilt aprox 5000 miles ago.
Holds great oil press. and runs fine.
PM for more info if interested.

3" (damned old) body lift, 1" Extended shackles, 1.5" Rough Country leaf springs, MP fuel injected 4.0, 3 row radiator, 33x12.5x15 ProComp X-Terrains, Eagle Alloy 8 Holes 15x10, Champion Winch, TJ Dash, 92 Roll Bar, AX15 5 speed, Posi-Lok, 1997 Dash and heater
jwicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.