Blown Engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Blown Engine?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-24-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
Hescrafty

Blown Engine?

Hi, im a new member here, great site you guys got, lots of useful information. The problem i have is in my 90 cherokee with the 4.0L. The engine is making a horrible clattrering noise. It sounds like the lifters are hitting the inside of the valve cover. It is a constant sound and increases with engine reving. It sounds like i have a diesel engine now. I was thinknig maybe a thrown rod, but i really have no idea. But the thing is, it was in storeage for over a year before i took it back out the other day do to the fact that we got over 2 feet of snow. It was messed up before we put it in storage, but my friend who is a mechanic said that it proably wouldnt have even started if it was that messed up. We put a new battery in and it turned right over, no oil burning or anything. We even used it to pull my other car out of a creek. The car was really stuck and we were gunning and reving the engine really hard for a long time pulling the car out. The thermostat was fine, oil pressure was fine and no oil burning. i even drover it about a half hour down a country road, with no problems. So is it just something simple or can these engine take that hard of a beating with a thrown rod or whatnot? Is there a simple way for me to tell if its a rod or lifter? I will post a video clip tomorrow so you can hear it for yourself. Any suggests are appreciated. Thanks.

Hescrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

The older Xj's 4litres sound that way. There is a lot of lifter noise and piston slap. (In most cases) Run some engine flush through it before the next oil change and maybe a can of Restore through it to quite it down a little. It will still clatter, just a little more muffled.

My 93 made a lot of noise at the lifters, they were filthy. I did the above and it runs pretty smooth, as least as smooth as can be expected for a 100K+ mile XJ.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2003, 01:31 AM   #3
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Most 4.0 engines with alot of miles have noisy lifters. Dont worry about it just use some 20W50 oil in it and it will quiet down. Mine has over 125K miles on it and runs great doesnt use a drop of oil. Pleanty of power. Takes some getting used to.
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2003, 07:52 AM   #4
BIG SEXY

Sarge37,
How is your oil pump holding up with that 20w50???
I have been a little leary to run anything over 10w30 in mine because I have heard that you can wear out an older pump this way very quickly!

I dont have alot of lifter noise but do have a engine w/ many miles and want to do whats best for it
91' YJ,4.0 I-6(180,000 mi) 2" Rancho Add-A-Leaf kit, 1.5" shackle lift, 2" BL, 33x12.50 BFG M/T KM's, 15x8 589's, TJ flares, custom F&R bumpers w/ swing-away spare carrier & rocker guards, FULL ROLL CAGE, herculiner, Warn [B]XD9000i[/B] (IT'S ALSO MY WIFES... or was!!!)

Rig Rater score= 476RRv1.0

Its a dog-eat-dog world. and I'm wearing MILKBONE UNDERWEAR!!
BIG SEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

20W 50 is the best oil for the 4.0 (and almost any engine for that matter) over 100k. If you search the forum for topics on this, we have debated this issue to death over the past year or more. I personally use it all the time once an engine reaches 100k. I always get way over 200k out of an engine with no problems. It will not cause any premature wear at all to an oil pump.

I wish I had time to go into this issue more, but I dont, LOL.

Anyway, 20W50 all the way.

As far as the clattering, it could also be collapsed lifters from sitting for the extended period. If they collapsed, it will clatter like hell. Has it gotten any better by running it?

If it were a blown rod or piston, it would likely heat up more than normal due to the friction.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.