Block deck before head replacement - how clean is clean? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Block deck before head replacement - how clean is clean?

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 09-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Block deck before head replacement - how clean is clean?

I'm cleaning my block deck prior to dropping the head back on. How clean does it need to be? Literally a mirror-like finish all over? Does it have to pass a "white towel test"?

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How are you decking it? If you do it by hand in the vehicle you won't be able to get it straight. If it wavy at all it'll blow the head gasket. Also, the metal will fall into the cylinders and water jackets causing more problems.
Either pull it and have it surfaced at a machine shop or leave it and hope it's OK.

But if you do it it needs to be shiny all over. No shadows or dark spots. Make sure its very smooth and straight.
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
But if you do it it needs to be shiny all over. No shadows or dark spots
OK, cool. The cylinder head has been resurfaced, but I just don't have the time or money to pay for the block to be pulled and milled.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Clean and shiny. Don't worry about the block being warped.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you are concerned take some 600-800 grit sandpaper glue it to a piece of plate glass and lightly run it up and down the deck. If you see spots or whole waves that are being missed or spots that show a big bump then I wouldn't put the head back on without work. little gaps are no big deal the gasket should seal and by useing a really fine sandpaper you won't generate any debris that will cause damage. compressed air and oiled tacky rags will take up anything kicked up by the sandpaper.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It would be highly unlikely that the block is warped. Almost so unlikely that I wouldn't worry about ever. Honestly, I don't think it could get hot enough to warp. Newer engines, yes... the 4.0, I don't think so.
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Blocks warp all the time. Usually the head and block move together and you find the problem when you straighten one and not the other.
A bad spark plug left for a long time will do it. Uneven heating will cause metal to move. Blocked cooling passages will cause it too.
Odds are it won't be a terminal twist but it never hurts to know.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
JeeperCreepers7

It needs to be "pretty clean" but I dunno about white glove clean. I'd say be careful about contaminants (metal shavings especially) and don't OCD it out.
JeeperCreepers7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram
Blocks warp all the time. Usually the head and block move together and you find the problem when you straighten one and not the other. A bad spark plug left for a long time will do it. Uneven heating will cause metal to move. Blocked cooling passages will cause it too. Odds are it won't be a terminal twist but it never hurts to know.
True and very good point. I was just referring to the 4.0, which is over-built and one incredibly stout short block. It is not very likely for this engine. I'll deck a chev 350 everytime for the reasons you state, fords also, aluminum everytime! But I would take the risk on the 4.0
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Stop being a
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't use ANY type of abrasive, sandpaper, scotch bright, etc. Takes very little to really reak havoc on your rings, etc.

Get some gasket remover in the spray can and use a 1" putty knife to clean the deck. Maybe stuff some rags in the cylinder bores to catch any debris.
Stop being a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
I'm cleaning my block deck prior to dropping the head back on. How clean does it need to be? Literally a mirror-like finish all over? Does it have to pass a "white towel test"?
A mirror finish is not advisable, as that will inhibit gasket sealing.

However, clean is a must. Thumb rule for me? Wipe the pad of my thumb on the deck in a few places, then lick my thumb. If I taste anything, it's not clean enough (rinse & spit a few times, don't swallow. I find that using tonic water or club soda leaves your tongue cleaner than just plain water for this.)

If you've got the slugs & crank out, a final scrub all over with a Scotch-Brite pad and hot, soapy water (hottest you can stand!) will finish the job nicely. You're using hot water so it all evapourates off in 5-10 minutes. Do that immediately before you assemble; if you have to do it at the end of the day, then wash, let dry, and wipe down with a rag dampened with clean air-tool oil or light machine oil. Before assembly, wipe the gasket sealing surfaces clean with a rag wet with solvent (acetone, toluene, MEK, carburettor cleaner, denatured alcohol - any mild organic solvent will serve.) Let dry for about two minutes before putting the gasket in and putting it all together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.