Black smoke from engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Black smoke from engine

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
jason11972

Black smoke from engine

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and things seem to be going wrong more frequently on it the last couple years so thought I'd sign up here and start asking questions as they pop up. Recently the fan relay went out, which cause the engine to overheat and the radiator hose exploded. I took to mechanic, was told fan relay died. Was quoted over $500 for repairs, so I looked up on vid on how to do myself and I replaced the fan relay with no problem. Right after that being fixed, it started emitting faint black smoke from under hood. Took to mechanic again and told gasket on top need to be replaced because oil was leaking out of top and dripping down engine and burning up when engine was hot. Got that fixed....but it's a month later and I'm still seeing pretty noticeable black smoke. I popped hood after driving and it seems to be coming off the outside of the engine. Is this oil burning off that collected from the last leak I had? Or is this another issue I need to check into? Should I try cleaning outside of engine myself to eliminate any excess oil....or pay the $60 for car wash to clean the engine? Please help.

jason11972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome!
It could be residual oil. But $60 to clean just the engine? Wow! I just buy the degreaser at parts store for $15 and do it myself.
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
superdutyec

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92
Welcome! It could be residual oil. But $60 to clean just the engine? Wow! I just buy the degreaser at parts store for $15 and do it myself.
I did it my self and found all kinds of leaks rear seal drain plug
superdutyec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
jason11972

Yes, $60 is what the car wash near me charges to steam clean an engine. I've had it done once before and it makes the engine look like it just came off the assembly line it's so clean. I thought about doing it myself but was worried about damaging something in the engine. I know there are electrical areas that you need to cover up when you do it yourself that can get damaged if you dont.

I thought about the possibility there might be another leak from the rear plug like you suggest....because I'm still seeing some oil collecting under the car. It's a very small amount, but it's there. My biggest worry is that when the radiator hose blew last time and the engine overheated that I might have cracked the engine block and that's where the leak is coming from.
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Chances of the block leaking oil due to crack are rather slim. You may have an oil leak at the distributor or the oil filter. There are seal there that will fail.
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
jason11972

There was a leak at distributor cap. I had that replaced, but there's still a small amount of oil under the car that's appearing each day...so there must be a leak somewhere else. Perhaps the filter as you suggest is also a problem. After driving it this morning for about 30mins I started seeing white smoke from under hood. Temp gauge is normal. Popped the hood and the smoke isnt come from the left side like last time...so I dont think it's related to the radiator or the hose. This time it's coming from the right side of the engine...not sure where it's specifically coming from. Maybe the oil filter? Since it's white smoke....doesnt that mean it's not oil and some other fluid leaking onto something hot?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.