Big Motor Decision!!!! Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Big Motor Decision!!!! Help!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-27-2001, 01:19 AM   #1
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Big Motor Decision!!!! Help!!!

Alright guys, this is a tough one for me, and I need help. I am getting ready to dive into the jeep mania that I've been reading so much about for the last 6 months. I've been dreaming & planning about what I want my perfect jeep to look like & be like. I've imagined it to be a 95 YJ, sitting totally stock so nobody has messed with it and I get to start from scratch. It would be in excellent showroom condition like it had been garaged for the last 6 years and I get to bring it to life. The most important thing about this jeep I thought was that it'd have the I-6 in it.
We'll, I think I've found that perfect jeep in a 95 YJ that has been in storage for 4 years, and only has been driven for the last two, with only 9,500 original miles on it. The kicker is that it has the 2.5L four cylinder in it.
The question is, do I bite the bullet because it's like brand new (and within 2 years I plan to do a V8 swap anyway), or do I hold out for that I-6 & hope for some low milage? I'm sure that somebody out there will have some good advice as to what I should do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
mattnreni44@aol.com

Unread 08-27-2001, 03:37 PM   #2
Pantera

Just so ya know, I've seen well built 4-Bangers go places the I6ers couldn't make it... Keep in mind, you are getting a Jeep®, not a 69 Camaro... A lot more finesse is required to go wheelin'... Not nessecarily a lot of power... Just my $0.02...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2001, 10:37 PM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

I agree, 4 cyl. with that kind of condition and miles - go for it.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2001, 01:35 AM   #4
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks guys, I think that's really what I wanted to hear. So Eddie, I know you've got the four, you got any modifications done you like or dislike as far as the motor goes? Can you still get decent performance with an upgraded intake, header & catback, ignition & electric fan & the normal stuff?

Thanks Again,
Matt
Unread 08-29-2001, 02:19 AM   #5
Pantera

Well, I have a cat-back, throttle spacer, and K&N cone filter... I'll soon be putting an electric fan, 4.0L throttle body, upgraded ignition (don't know what yet), and possibly a Hi-Flow catalytic converter... If you want good info on modifying your 4-Banger go here ---> 4-Bangers United
Oh, yeah, and have LOADS of fun wrenchin on your Jeep®...
Unread 08-31-2001, 12:04 AM   #6
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

...and one more opinion! Don't ruin it by overloading the front end with a V8.

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2001, 02:37 AM   #7
Pantera

LOL @ HighCountry...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.