Which is better 4cylinder vs 6 cylinder - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Which is better 4cylinder vs 6 cylinder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I drive the mighty 4 angry squirrels because that is what was in the YJ when I got it. Stock set up not bad in town a little slow on acceleration on the highway and off road very capable.

Modded with lift and 33s it is slow everywhere except the trail. Great torque off road but a gutless wonder on the highway. Solution re- gear from stock 4:10 to 4:88. $$$ for new gears had a master kit installed also and some lockers. D30 up front no problem. Swapped to an 8.8 rear for the strength.

Conclusion is if you have the choice up front go with the six or any of the bigger swaps available.

I love the YJ the way it is and we get along just fine were both slow and old. With re-gear we are now capable of keeping up with traffic and even better off road. MPG has never been a concern it's not a DD just a weekend warrior.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
newguytoday

After thinking about it I did end up getting myself an inline 6
newguytoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think you'll be happy with that inline 6. They are one of the great American engines that I wish were still made. An inline 6 is one of the few engine designs that is inherently balanced. They are very durable and have great low end torque, which translates into a good power-plant for a 4WD rig.

Stolen from Wikipedia, "The straight-six layout is the simplest engine layout that possesses both primary and secondary mechanical engine balance, resulting in much less vibration than engines with fewer cylinders."

Also shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia, "An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs (but of course, 360° out of phase and on different strokes of the 4-stroke cycle). That is, piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion sum to zero".

And one last bit of plagiarism from our friends at the wiki:
"The last in the line of the AMC inline sixes, the 4.0 is regarded as one of the best 4x4 off-road engines. A Motor Trend long-term test of a 1997 Cherokee XJ noted "this long-lived OHV powerplant has a reputation for getting people where they need to go" as well as "much love expressed by owners for the torquey 4.0-liter/190-horsepower inline six." The engine is known for longevity and to go more than 300,000 miles (482,803 km) without rebuilding."
HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.