Best YJ tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Best YJ tranny?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-26-2001, 08:36 PM   #1
evilpsych

Best YJ tranny?

ok guys.. Which would you pick if you had to replace the tranny on your yj.. the AX-5 or the AX-15.. what's the diff between the two? i've got the 4.0 liter and i think it's the NP231 xfer case.. stock configuration too..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
I-4

an ax-5 is a light duty tranny.(good for 4 bangers)the ax-15 is a medium duty tranny.other than a slightly different 1st gear,just strength is the only issue.if there were an easy way to put an ax-15 behind my four cylinder i would.
Unread 10-28-2001, 07:41 PM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The AX-15 was the standard transmission for 4.0L Wranglers from 1990-1998. The AX-5 was standard on 2.5L models and has a smaller input shaft. '99-present Wranglers come with the New Venture NV-3550, which I have been told is stronger than both the AX-5 and AX-15. The Cadillac trannies for YJ's are of course the NV-4500 and NV-5600, but then you're talking some serious $$$. Oh, but to have an NV-5600... (Mmmmmm - 6-speed w/ granny low 1st. droooolllll....)
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.