Best and worst engines ever from Jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Best and worst engines ever from Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Reply
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
1flbeachjeep
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 2
2.4 CYL 2003 no problems at 109k.

Just got some basic stuff done (radiator flush etc.) ase mechanic goes this engine sound perfect! Are you selling?

1flbeachjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #17
1flbeachjeep
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 2
2.4 2003

No problems at 109k. Mechanic at dealer even said engine sound amazing are you selling. Also depends on how you drive and how you take care of it.
1flbeachjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
CJ7nvrstk
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Prosper, Tx
Posts: 672
Funny thread. Some love what others hate.

Lotsa haters on the 3.8 even though that motor has the longest production run of any Jeep motor. They must have been doing something right.

Liked my 225, 150 (certainly better than the 134) and love my 360. Living with the 3.8 but neither love or hate it, it does the job.
__________________
4" shoe sucking mud, uphill, 2wd, no slippage on Cooper AT3? Ya, sure! NOT!
CJ7nvrstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
Jeep_Fanatic
Registered User
2012 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
Funny thread. Some love what others hate. Lotsa haters on the 3.8 even though that motor has the longest production run of any Jeep motor. They must have been doing something right. Liked my 225, 150 (certainly better than the 134) and love my 360. Living with the 3.8 but neither love or hate it, it does the job.
The 3.8L was found in '07-'11 wranglers.. I think you meant shortest production run of any Jeep motor lol.

It does the job but the fact it originates from a minivan and randomly leaks all the time makes it very undesirable..
__________________
-Rescue Green '12 Compass Sport 4x2 2.4L CVT daily driver
-New jeep coming soon
Jeep_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #20
CJ7nvrstk
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Prosper, Tx
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Fanatic View Post
The 3.8L was found in '07-'11 wranglers.. I think you meant shortest production run of any Jeep motor lol.

It does the job but the fact it originates from a minivan and randomly leaks all the time makes it very undesirable..
Production 1990-2011


Neither of mine have leaked a bit. 08 and 11.



FWIW, the Go Devil 134 L head that powered the Willys MB was a car motor.
__________________
4" shoe sucking mud, uphill, 2wd, no slippage on Cooper AT3? Ya, sure! NOT!
CJ7nvrstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #21
SouthernGray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 2
The best jeep engines are the 4.0 inline 6 and 5.2 318 V8. And the 4.6 Liter V8 is junk and 2.5 4 cylinder, no power. ....did you know the 4.6 Liter V8 was designed by Mercedes Benz? Go figure. They are notorious for breaking camshafts.
SouthernGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #22
mopartech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
It's hard to best the torque of the 4.0 i6 but it could not pass the stringent emissions requirements so it was retired and replaced with the wimpy but reliable 3.8 by...my absolute favorite is the new 3.6 by Pentastar which is bulletproof and pushing almost 300hp, other than the valve guide problems on cylinder #2 on 11' and 12' models (warranty covered for 150k)this engine has been trouble free and gets 20mpg in wrangler!
mopartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
LJameson
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth Lake, CA
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGray View Post
And the 4.6 Liter V8 is junk and 2.5 4 cylinder, no power. ....did you know the 4.6 Liter V8 was designed by Mercedes Benz? Go figure. They are notorious for breaking camshafts.
Uhh, what?

I assume you mean the 4.7, which was 100% chrysler designed and built. And considering I've seen plenty with 200,000 plus miles on them, I disagree.
__________________
"Anything to do with the land, I love."
"So it's probably eighty percent luck and twenty percent skill."

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #24
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartech
It's hard to best the torque of the 4.0 i6 but it could not pass the stringent emissions requirements so it was retired and replaced with the wimpy but reliable 3.8 by...my absolute favorite is the new 3.6 by Pentastar which is bulletproof and pushing almost 300hp, other than the valve guide problems on cylinder #2 on 11' and 12' models (warranty covered for 150k)this engine has been trouble free and gets 20mpg in wrangler!
The 4.0 I6 torque is ok, but I think it's overrated.

Just about any V8 has more torque.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #25
mopartech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The 4.0 I6 torque is ok, but I think it's overrated.

Just about any V8 has more torque.
Lamo...and a Cummins diesel has more torque than a v8. We are talking jeep engines here not retrofit engines. Btw a 4.0 in a wrangler has a much better center of gravity and weighs less than a v8 swap. I would take the 4.0 any day and if you think you need more ponies then stroke it to a 4.7 and hold on😄
mopartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartech View Post
Lamo...and a Cummins diesel has more torque than a v8. We are talking jeep engines here not retrofit engines. Btw a 4.0 in a wrangler has a much better center of gravity and weighs less than a v8 swap. I would take the 4.0 any day and if you think you need more ponies then stroke it to a 4.7 and hold on😄
I'm talking Jeep engines too.

5.2 V8 has more torque than a 4.0.

4.7 V8 has more torque than a 4.0.

4.7 V8 weighs less than a 4.0.

Get your facts straight.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #27
Jeep_Fanatic
Registered User
2012 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I'm talking Jeep engines too.

5.2 V8 has more torque than a 4.0.

4.7 V8 has more torque than a 4.0.

4.7 V8 weighs less than a 4.0.

Get your facts straight.
you left out the 5.7 Hemi and the 5.9 mag

also the replacement engine for the 4.0 which was the 3.6L currently has more hp/torque, at around 260ft/lbs i believe...
__________________
-Rescue Green '12 Compass Sport 4x2 2.4L CVT daily driver
-New jeep coming soon
Jeep_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #28
mopartech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
Ok, thought we were talking jeep wrangler engines here, I can see that you are a guy who always as to be right...so your absolutely correct in the torque numbers. I would never personally rate the 4.7 in the top of any engine comparison though, it is a very complex and troublesome engine.
mopartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #29
carnuck
Registered User
1984 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,212
Last year of production 2.8 was MUCH better (internally balanced. Wider rod and main bearings). Iron Duke was sluggish and so was AMC 2.5 with carb. 350 Buick was awesome and the 230 OHC got a bad rep because leaded fuel went away and oils of the '60s weren't good enough to lube them. My friend has one with 230,000 miles with BW auto behind it in a '65 Wagoneer. It was his Grand Dads rig, who ran Amsoil in it.
Not fond of the 360's fuel "economy" but I have nursed a few up to 17 mpg highway in Wags. (before alcohol laced fuel) The Renault diesel in XJs and MJs till '87 sucked (French committee designed) but the Nissan SD33T is awesome. I like my 17 mpg 304 in my '73 J4000 and hated the 11 mpg with the 401. (swapped in a 4.0L and AW4/NV242) Isuzu 4BD1TA was used in some FSJs for the military as well.
__________________
"Usually found in a Jeep near Reiter, WA"
FOR SALE STUFF
http://tinyurl.com/jimsclads

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #30
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartech View Post
Ok, thought we were talking jeep wrangler engines here, I can see that you are a guy who always as to be right...so your absolutely correct in the torque numbers. I would never personally rate the 4.7 in the top of any engine comparison though, it is a very complex and troublesome engine.
Thread title is "Best and worst engines ever from Jeep".

I wouldn't rate the 4.7 as one of the best either, I was just using it to make the point that the 4.0 is not the torque monster that some people will lead you to believe.

The 4.7 makes more torque at 1,200 RPM than the 4.0 does at its peak. And this is from a small V8.

I'm not a big fan of the 4.0 I6. Not enough power.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.