Best and worst engines ever from Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Best and worst engines ever from Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
TadpoleJK
2012 JK Wrangler 

Best and worst engines ever from Jeep

I was just really interested in this topic today so I thought I'd start a thread

What (in your opinion) are the 2 best and 2 worst engines ever to be in Jeep vehicles?

Here are mine:

BEST:

1. 2.5L I4 in the YJ and early base TJ Wranglers
2. 4.0L I6 in the late model YJ's and TJ Wranglers as well as the Cherokee and early Grand Cherokees

WORST:

1. 2.4L I4 in the newer model base TJ Wranglers (same engine as the early Chrysler PT Cruisers)
2. 3.8L V6 in the 2007-2011 JK Wrangler (although this was a torque monster, it still only made 202 HP and got horrible gas mileage)

TadpoleJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Best ? Any in-line 6 cylinder, and the 401 V-8.

4 cylinders are for girly Jeeps and mall crawlers.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Jeep_Fanatic
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Best ? Any in-line 6 cylinder, and the 401 V-8.

4 cylinders are for girly Jeeps and mall crawlers.

i happen to have the 2.4L now and its pretty great. i also like the older 4 bangers, very simple and pretty tough for their size. not to mention the 2.5 whipped the GM 2.8L

need I mention the first Jeeps had 4 cylinders?
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Jeep_Fanatic
2012 MK Compass 

BEST:

1. 4.0L
2. 2.4L later model

WORST:

1. 3.8L, its gutless
2. 2.8 GM V6
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

You folks are showing your age. For a long stretch, all CJ engines were 4 cylinder and I doubt anyone considered them girly. Gutless, yes.

IMO, the best stock CJ engine ever was the 225 V6, better than any of the 6's that followed, including 4.0 and 4.2's. Worst? Guess I would say the 230 OHC as they didn't tend to run too long between valve jobs. That said, I've never been too fond of AMC's V8's original series or the later. They work but a small block Chevy is a much better choice in just so many ways.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Sorry but my 2.5 I4 was one of the best motors I have ever had the pleasure of owning. It got me through 140k miles (on top of the original 60k something) on various off-roading excursions. It survived countless dunkings, overheatings, and once it ran 70 miles without any oil (bad day). It gave my YJ exactly what it needed on the trail...not really always the case on the highway, but I did drive 2700 miles across the US and back twice...topless.

I changed plugs once. Oil three times. I didn't understand car maintenance in my youth...or much of anything really. If that motor survived me I know it was good!

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Fanatic View Post

i happen to have the 2.4L now and its pretty great. i also like the older 4 bangers, very simple and pretty tough for their size. not to mention the 2.5 whipped the GM 2.8L

need I mention the first Jeeps had 4 cylinders?
saying the 2.5 whipped the gm 2.8 isn't really saying much. but i do have to agree that the 2.8 would have to be one of the worst motors jeep has ever used.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Best

1 - The I6 4.0 Jeep engine
2 - Chrysler's 318 V8. They just ran forever.

Worst

Not worth mentioning since they were just crap.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Having owned a JK with the 3.8, I rank it among the worst POS engine I have ever owned in any vehicle, even below the 2.3L aluminum Chevy Vega engine.

A study in contrast, from the best (4.0) to the worst (3.8) in one model year change, and the CEO of Chrysler said he would never be forgiven if he screwed up the Wrangler, dude, you already did.

No, it is true, I do not like the 3.8. I do not care what they wrap around it and I am not yet convinced the 3.6 is any better in the long run, but we can only hope it is at least a little better.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Best engine offered in a Jeep?
Buick 225 V6. Small, bone reliable and builds enough torque to pull a house. Easily modifiable (back in the day) to build large amounts of HP if you wanted it. Would probably still be offered today if AMC didn't buy out Jeep and insist on installing their 258 (closely the second best engine ever). Buick bought back the tooling and ran the engine configuration for another thirty five years.

Worst:
Chevy 2.8 V6. Gutless gas hog that would drop the intake gaskets and let antifreeze pour into the crankcase. BANG, it's dead.....
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Drose

I've had a 90 Sahara with the 4.2 i6 it was a beast overheated it ... It was fine flooded it in 4ft of water it was fine loved that jeep & that motor!

Also same time had a 02 liberty 3.7 v6 loved it as well fast 4 a jeep fun off road me & 2 of my friends literally dukes of Hazard it over a bridge & rolled over 3 time ending on the roof **** was crazy it was totaled after that..... We we're drinking I know I know stupid but I was in my early 20's

Now I drive a 97 tj 2.5 with about 126,000 it I s a amazing motor not fast... Not overly powerful BUT very very reliable simple 2 work on lots of space under the hood with that little guy in there. Sucks on highway. BUT back roads & off road it's a real joy 2 drive actually just put a cold air intake & flowmaster 44 on it sounds great gave it better pull off the line still waiting 2 c if it helped with mileage. Getting around average 19mpg b4 which was WAY better then the 14mpg my Saharas 4.2 was getting & I can't 4 the life of me remember what the liberty got...... Probably because I was drunk & concussed...
Drose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Drose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drose
I've had a 90 Sahara with the 4.2 i6 it was a beast overheated it ... It was fine flooded it in 4ft of water it was fine loved that jeep & that motor! Also same time had a 02 liberty 3.7 v6 loved it as well fast 4 a jeep fun off road me & 2 of my friends literally dukes of Hazard it over a bridge & rolled over 3 time ending on the roof **** was crazy it was totaled after that..... We we're drinking I know I know stupid but I was in my early 20's Now I drive a 97 tj 2.5 with about 126,000 it I s a amazing motor not fast... Not overly powerful BUT very very reliable simple 2 work on lots of space under the hood with that little guy in there. Sucks on highway. BUT back roads & off road it's a real joy 2 drive actually just put a cold air intake & flowmaster 44 on it sounds great gave it better pull off the line still waiting 2 c if it helped with mileage. Getting around average 19mpg b4 which was WAY better then the 14mpg my Saharas 4.2 was getting & I can't 4 the life of me remember what the liberty got...... Probably because I was drunk & concussed...

Oh ps the almost 4got

#1: 4.2 i6
#2: 2.5 i4
#3: 3.7 v6

All I've ever had so all I can speak on but here's my order.
Drose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
DJStamper
1977 DJ 

By far the worst, most rotten engine ever put in a jeep was the 2.0 four cylinder Audi motor.
DJStamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #14
Tommy2Glove
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know, but as a teenager, I beat the "H-E-double hockey sticks" out of a 2.8L '89 XJ. Ran it hard, ran it hot, ran it out of oil, etc. It just kept going.

I've had 3 different 4.0L jeeps since then, and have gotten great service from them all, though none of them were abused as much.

The 4.0 is the main reason that I now have a TJ vs. something newer...
Tommy2Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

mine was the 225 Buick v6. ran from 1966 until 2000 when i sold the jeep.

Not a Jeep engine but the 6BT.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.