Bent Superior Super88 shaft - replacement options now that Superior is closed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Bent Superior Super88 shaft - replacement options now that Superior is closed?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
akjason

Bent Superior Super88 shaft - replacement options now that Superior is closed?

I bent my drivers side Super88 shaft on my last trip to Windrock. Runout is 0.060" at the outermost point on the face of the flange. This gives a nice little massage at highway speeds, and is very visible when watching the tire wobble back and forth. FYI, the shafts are 31 spline and I run 36" TSLs and a stock 4.0L. I never thought I'd come close to damaging these shafts, but that day is here.

I've come to find out that Superior is pretty much out of business, which is obviously a bad situation for what I thought would be a simple warranty replacement. So now I'm trying to figure out my options.

1) I'm told Yukon has an Ultimate 8.8 kit - does anyone have any idea if the shafts are interchangeable?

2) Bend the shaft back straight. This will obviously not be perfect, and I honestly don't know how possible it would be especially on my 20-ton shop press, but it's got to be worth a try. Maybe even worth finding a shop with a larger capacity press.

3) Any other suggestions? Thanks.

akjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

PM Sent
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

You can get custom axles, this is not even a problem, moser, mark williams, strange

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
akjason

I'd rather avoid a custom axle since if anything happened to it I'd be in the same boat that I'm in now - no off-the-shelf replacement available.

Thanks to RWKHausSupply for contacting Yukon for more detailed info. Robert, would you mind me repeating here what they told you about their shaft?

After a little more digging, and finding the Yukon installation instructions, it appears that the Yukon kit is very similar to, if not the same as, the Superior kit.
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

All I can say is that the past Superior shafts were not in high supply, and superior was doing what they could to make up kits.

Yukon did base their kit off of the Superior kit, some say copy, some say reverse engineered, some call it making an competitive option. What ever you want to call it, Yukon shafts most likely will fit in to the Superior application without mod. But to this day Yukon can not say for sure, yet, if this is a 100% direct fitment.

I do have Yukon shafts available from their Ultimate 88 kit though, if anyone needs any.
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

An axle is a axle they all fit by length and spline, the custom axles I mentioned are stronger. I don't get what your issue is??

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
akjason

I've got a Yukon Ultimate 88 LH axle (and bearing, seal, etc) coming from a local club vendor. All indications are that it should swap back in, with my idea being that I'll have my bent Superior shaft with all the components on it as a trail spare. I'll update this thread with the results probably next weekend when I get a chance to work on it.
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Right any axle for a 8.8 with the spl needed for that carrier will work with the pressed bearing, even a factory axle with that bearing and simple spacer will do the same thing. This isn't like having some discontinued part, superior copied a 8.8 axle without the C clip need and used a pressed bearing and lock and new retainer with seal.

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
akjason

My entire Superior shaft has a slight curve to it. So the whole shaft is bent, not the flange. I understand Superior didn't warranty bent flanges, so this would've been a good candidate for a warranty replacement

It's confirmed, the Yukon Ultimate 88 is a direct swap for the Superior Super88 kit. There are 2 differences I saw: 1) The shaft isn't coated black like the superior shaft was, so it'll get surface rust (I spray painted where it shows through the center of the wheel), and 2) the wheel studs are longer but don't prevent me from using my existing lug nuts. That's pretty much it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.