Before I Start, how hard is it? - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
2tall2slow
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coleridge
Posts: 133
Before I Start, how hard is it?

I have a sneaky suspicion that my fuel pump is going bad. What are the tell tale signs of this? And before I attempt to replace myself, how hard is it? 94 Cherokee.

2tall2slow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2slow View Post
I have a sneaky suspicion that my fuel pump is going bad. What are the tell tale signs of this? And before I attempt to replace myself, how hard is it? 94 Cherokee.
Why are you suspicious that your fuel pump going bad? Symptoms?



First thing you have to ask is when did the inline fuel filer get changed? Don't know? Then it is time to do that before you go dropping the gas tank and swapping out the fuel pump. At least that is what I would do.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
2tall2slow
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coleridge
Posts: 133
I am changing filter this afternoon 1st, before i do anything expensive. It was last changed approx 3-4 years ago. Jeep sputters and kicks randomly like it isnt getting enough gas. Used some really good injector cleaner that shouldve wofked but didnt, thats leading me to filter/pump.
2tall2slow is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 AM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,882
Another cheap fix is to remove the Throttle Position Sensor and clean it AND the bore it sits in with 0000 steel wool and carb cleaner. Do not pull the end of the TPS out of it's body or you have to buy another one.

I would also test fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Or, it might be a fuel pressure regulator problem.

You are assuming that the problem is fuel.

I would throw a timing light on this engine and see what the timing does when you increase the RPMS. That is when it is running poorly. A stretched timing chain could be the problem.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Another cheap fix is to remove the Throttle Position Sensor and clean it AND the bore it sits in with 0000 steel wool and carb cleaner. Do not pull the end of the TPS out of it's body or you have to buy another one.

I would also test fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Or, it might be a fuel pressure regulator problem.

You are assuming that the problem is fuel.

I would throw a timing light on this engine and see what the timing does when you increase the RPMS. That is when it is running poorly. A stretched timing chain could be the problem.
I think you meant Idle air Controller? Not TPS?

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 AM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
I think you meant Idle air Controller? Not TPS?
GOOD CATCH!!!!! IAC not TPS



Gotta get some coffee into me before typing.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
GOOD CATCH!!!!! IAC not TPS



Gotta get some coffee into me before typing.
I know all about that!!

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
2tall2slow
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coleridge
Posts: 133
I am assuming that the problem is fuel. Just took the dreaded gasoline bath changing my filter. Hope that'll do it because I have no idea how to check my fuel pressure regulator or test for pressure at the rail. Let it be known, my tool box consists of some sockets, wrenches, and a DMM. A handy go-to. BTW. Idle air controller is what exactly?
2tall2slow is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 04:08 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall2slow View Post
I am assuming that the problem is fuel. Just took the dreaded gasoline bath changing my filter. Hope that'll do it because I have no idea how to check my fuel pressure regulator or test for pressure at the rail. Let it be known, my tool box consists of some sockets, wrenches, and a DMM. A handy go-to. BTW. Idle air controller is what exactly?


http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/tbi...eaning-179079/

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
2tall2slow
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coleridge
Posts: 133
Filter didn't seem to be the problem. Very good, detailed information and seemingly easy inexpensive tips to troubleshooting there cruiser. This will be my reference today.
2tall2slow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome