Before I change out my transmission fluid and filter.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Before I change out my transmission fluid and filter....

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
spetz

Before I change out my transmission fluid and filter....

Hi guys. 1st post and I need real insight to my 4x4 auto 2002 Jeep Liberty. I had it for awhile and I just got a routine oil change. The shop informed me that my transmission fluid and filter should be looked into.

I figured to do the messy job myself. However, I have been advised by family friends that when you mess with transmission fluid draining/filter, your transmission will get messed up. It sounds weird to me but family friends claim this to be true. One said he worked in a mechanic shop and knew those who had a complete fush only to gripe that their transmission would later go out.

Is there truth to this or plain hogwash? I am not looking at a fully flush but doing a routine change, for now.

Also: Should I go with a gasket or sealant?

spetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
wicked99wj
1999 WJ 

ok when was the last time if ever the tranny fluid was replaced or drained and how bad does it look. its not to hard to do it yourself as long as you now what your getting into and are mech inclined.
wicked99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
spetz

I'm no mechanic but I been able to restore and rebuild old cars so changing the filter appears very straight forward (read up on it and watched some vids). My girlfriend had her jeep for 3 years and I took it to the shop for a simple oil change. The guy said the transmission fluid was brownish and wanted to charge $90 for a filter change and put fluid back in. $200 for a complete flush. For that much I figured I do the filter and replace fluid change myself to bide me time for a full flush some time. I understand I can not get all the fluid out but I figured working on it is better then nothing. She is convinced that her transmission will flop after I tinker with it after all the horror stories she heard from friends and those she knows working in mechanic shops. That is what I was hoping people could shed some truth to.

I was going to use a name brand fluid ATF +4 as recommended. I figured if the right fluid is used and everything put back together it should be no big deal and these transmission woes are unfounded.
spetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.