Bedplate torque questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Bedplate torque questions

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
325issguy

Bedplate torque questions

Hi everyone,
Im assembling a 4.7 from a 99. Having troubles for some reason. My machine shop told me that their torque specs for the inner bolts are 25ft lbs + 90.

As well as I have heard of multiple people tightening to that spec. However, when I tighten to 25ft lbs it spins, but the extra 90 makes it too tight to spin. The weird thing is that the bearing clearances tightened to that torque are .0015.

So my question is should i use the new rod bolts i have coming and torque to 25in lbs + 90 or should i take the block back to machine shop and have it checked and assemble at the torque that seems correct 25 ft lbs.

Thanks,
Chris

325issguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Are you tighting them to 25ft lbs and then to 90 ft lbs?, Or to 25ft lbs and the a 1/4 trun? Check this out http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...ysler_47l.aspx
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
325issguy

Yea im doing 25 ft lbs then 1/4 turn. I can do them all to 1/8 turn it seems then she locks up as soon as I tighten the last 1/8. So it is verified that you should tighten the inner bolts to 25 ft lbs instead of inch lbs?
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The referenced enginebuilder article said 25 INCH-pounds, but that is probably a typo. I can't imagine 25 in/lb + a quarter turn would be enough for main bearings.

But here is one idea: how are you supporting the engine? Is it bolted to an engine stand by the flywheel end? The block might be sagging. Try taking it off the stand and setting it on the workbench, then torque the bolts. I know it sounds crazy, but I once had the same problem with a Mercedes inline-6 block. Block was bolted to the stand, crank would turn just fine until the main caps were torqued. Then it was locked up solid. Took block off the stand, set it on the bench, torqued the main bolts and everything was fine. Yes, cast iron will bend...
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
325issguy

Thanks man,
Now that I think of it that is alot of weight sagging down on the engine.
Thanks I will give that a try!
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
325issguy

Well it still binds up when on the bench. Just got some telescoping gauges and a micrometer set so I am heading out there in a bit to take some measurements and see if everything checks out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.