BBD Carb Stepper Motor Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > BBD Carb Stepper Motor Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-12-2002, 04:02 PM   #1
CJ8DV8

BBD Carb Stepper Motor Question

Hi Gang-

Educate me, please.

I've recently done some troubleshooting with the diagnostic connector on my CJ. Specifically, my multimeter's voltage reading is supposed to pulse on and off with the in and out moton of the metering pins in the carb. This diagnostic connection pin is basically a remote test location for the carb's stepper motor signal.

Here's my question:

I noticed that the stepper motor voltage doesn't move when the engine is at idle. I have to crack the throttle up to about 800 or 900 rpm before the voltage starts to pulse, indicating stepper motor activity. Below this speed the stepper motor is "dead".

Is this normal?

I'm having drivability problems (hesitates just off idle and just after the auto upshifts, each gear) and started poking around when I discovered this stepper motor phenomenon.

Any thoughts?

Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2002, 04:48 PM   #2
johny1i

When the engine is warmed up and idling, it is in what is called a "closed loop" operation. You can read all about the wonderful world of stepper motors in a service manual, but basically there are about 4 "open loop" modes in which the stepper motor will be adjusting the carb--a cold engine (or at least cold outside air), Wide-open-throttle (flooring it), drops in manifold vacuum (stomping the gas, but not quite flooring it), and another one I can't remember--something about fluctuations in timing or something.

The easiest way to make sure it's working is to look down the carb when the engines warmed up and idling, then punch the gas lever and the little rod inside the carb should slide back in the direction of the rear of the vehicle. It will then slowly slide forward as the condition disappears.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
johny1i

Sorry I didn't answer your exact question, I don't know much about automatic transmissions. Are you sure that the problem is in the engine--e.g. could the transmission be low in fluid and not shifting strongly?

A "flat spot" in the carb can usually be corrected by adjusting the accelerator pump and/or the idle mixture. You'll need to manual for that, though, because I don't think I can illustrate with words how you adjust the accelerator pump--it's easier with pictures.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2002, 11:00 AM   #4
CJ8DV8

Thanks Johny1i-

I know that the stepper motor is controlled by the computer and that the computer "listens" to all kinds of input from the various sensors - inluding rpm's. I just thought it strange that the computer "gives up" adjusting the fuel mixture when the vehicle is at idle.

As far as the drivability problem:

The tranny shifts fine and solid. The problem is when accellerating and the trans shifts, the engine stumbles or misses (hesitates) for a second before the rev's start to pull again.

My thought was the accelerator pump also, but I just had my mechanic do some work and he replaced the BBD carb with a new (rebuilt) one. He explained at the time that it needed replacing because the accelerator pump was bad in that one! Same problem, new carb, lighter wallet!!

ARGHHHH!!!!!
Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2002, 09:10 PM   #5
Bob K

The computer does not need to adjust the stepper motor at idle because it sets it right for that rpm (and other info it is receiving) then just leaves it there until something changes ie engine rpm/throttle setting.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.