Ball Joints will be the death of me!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ball Joints will be the death of me!!!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ball Joints will be the death of me!!!

For the life of me I can not remove my lower ball joints! The uppers both came out fine but no matter what I do I can't budge the lowers! I'm using the ball joint press from oreillys but they arent moving. The problem is the cups that came in the kit are either too small or just barely too big and slip up the side while cranking. Does this make sense to anyone and can anybody provide me with some insight? If not, I'll just swap out the uppers with my new spicers because none of them are bad I'm just upgrading because they're stock from 2001

Live4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
DaemonForce

Ball joints from O'Reilly? Wow, you have really deep pockets. If you can't install the new joint then it's probably the wrong fit. I would pick up the cheap Mevotech replacement and be done with it.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No no no haha I bought spicer ball joints from eastcoastgearsupply I'm only renting the removal kit from oreillys haha. And by the way I got them out with a little bit of ginger rage. Being a red head comes in handy sometimes!
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
DaemonForce

Well the good news is it doesn't require much effort to remove the ball joints but it takes a soul to install a new one. I think you might need some outside help there. (゙゚'ω゚')
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Live4Jeeps
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea the whole not having a soul thing is my downfall haha
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

a impact is the world of difference. the consistent "Bang"ing of the impact creates a vibration and force that typically just makes them walk right out and in...
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

removing the old? Just a BAH, You shouldn't care about the condition that they will be in when you throw them away. A torch to the pin then cooling it with break free, panther pee or whatever penetrating oil you like works too. Try to stay away from heating the knuckle too much though because even though it shouldn't effect it, why take the chance.
vadslram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.