Bad vibs after lift=damage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Bad vibs after lift=damage?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
sailorbear2000
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bad vibs after lift=damage?

This past weekend I installed a Rubicon Express 4.5in superflex lift and ran out of time to install my SYE and CV driveshaft. I get vibes when accelerating and under 40 mostly. I only have to drive it to work 3 days this week and will be installing the Teraflex super short SYE and CV shaft Saturday. If I drive it how much damage am I actually doing? I know i can burn up the U-joints, but are there issues with the transmission or Transfer Case that I should know (that anyone has experienced). I see a lot of threads talking about vibes and installing a TC drop or MML, but I couldn't find were anyone has driven it for a few days and really messed anything up. I don't plan on wheeling it anytime soon just got to get me to work on the hard surface.

03' TJ Sport
4.0L Auto
dana 35 3:73
before and after pics

Last edited by sailorbear2000; 05-13-2014 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: forgot something!
sailorbear2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
sailorbear2000
2003 TJ Wrangler 

before and after

4.5 got me 5.25 and level
10177286_445545985590092_577404007946093024_n.jpg

10246499_450915708386453_1793263539370841927_n.jpg

Unread 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Rangerz

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Pull your rear driveshaft and drive on the front only.

Chris - Lost Wages, NV

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, 2009 Lance 825, 2005 TJ,
Polaris RZRs.
Rangerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

you can do some real damage to the T case. they can explode and at that point it is FUBAR(F^^^^^ up beyond all repair) There are many threads here that show what can happen.

once you go to a cardan type Drive shaft be sure to dial in the pinion on the rear so it is parallel to the drive line too. The lift does have rear adjustable control arms?
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
you can do some real damage to the T case. they can explode and at that point it is FUBAR(F^^^^^ up beyond all repair) There are many threads here that show what can happen.

once you go to a cardan type Drive shaft be sure to dial in the pinion on the rear so it is parallel to the drive line too. The lift does have rear adjustable control arms?
Is there really direct damage to the TC? Or is it that if a ujoint let's go then the stub of the driveshaft flailing around can do damage? And actually aren't more of the cracked TCs due to centering balls in double cardan driveshafts binding up and then sending a shock load back into the TC? Not suggesting the OP do this as driving on the front is an easy solution, but you may be exaggerating/misrepresenting the issue a bit.
Unread 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

vibs cause fatigue, does everyone end like that, no. there can be many reasons why. see enough people post this same issue then when they do nothing. we see pics like that, i mean not like that is the only one too. I mean in the end it could be blamed on this or that, but the one fact is that they all started with a larger lift than the drive line can live with and Vibs or Dl on a cardan not right, what ever. But in the worst case they end up like that. Its kinda like rolling dice. The higher the speed the more of a chance for more damage. few year back a thread here a guy In a Jk had a cardan let loose and it not only scattered the t case but started a fire. Would it be better to say, don't worry about it? Then something goes FUBAR and they come back and say I said its cool man drive it.

he did want to know what might happen.

I was just showing what could happen. From other peoples and Murphy's Law.
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
sailorbear2000
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hope

Thanks guys, that's what i thought, and yes I wanted to know all the what ifs. I'm a realist and know that something could happen, unfortunately I have taken my front drive shaft out to have it balance for when i put my new gears and lockers on in a few weeks. I've decided to drive it to the transmission shop tomorrow and have them just put the kit in and line the pinion angle back up. it's not worth the chance of blowing the TC out or stripping gears to drive it 2 more days this week. I'll take the back road and keep her under 45 and my fingers crossed.
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
sailorbear2000
2003 TJ Wrangler 

VIBES gone

So my Terra-flex SS SYE kit is installed and the new CV driveshaft all vibes are gone. No damage came to the TC for the 2 days I drove it. I also straighten up my steering wheel and straightened out my alignment. She's all gtg and ready for the tires.

Last edited by sailorbear2000; 05-22-2014 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: I can't spell
sailorbear2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cv driveshaft , damage , re 4.5" , sye , vibes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.