Bad vibrations in England - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Bad vibrations in England

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Slasher
2006 KJ Liberty 

Bad vibrations in England

Hello all, long time lurker but new member. Its my first post so please be gentle.

I have a problem that I cant find any answers to and it's to do with vibration.

The problem - Monday night I was driving and when I hit 40 mph, the car started to vibrate and will kept vibrating until virtually stopped. I thought Torque Converter (had one go on a C Class Mercedes last year and thats why I bought the Jeep). Tuesday afternoon I took it to a local Auto Gearbox (transmission) repairer who took it for a test drive and heard/felt it but it kept vibrating in neutral so they said to leave it with them Wednesday so they can put it on a lift and check it all in the workshop. When I went to pick it up they said they don't think its the Torque Converter just my Transfer Case is a bit noisy.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? 40 mph = vibration in drive and 2nd gear (don't know if it was clever to try that one) 2WD and 4WD same in neutral, with O/D on or off and same if turning or straight.

I've got it booked into a good independent garage in the morning to check it over but not too sure what I need to tell them to check.

Sorry for a long first post but any help/tips/ideas greatly appreciated.

Jim

Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did they look at any mounts? I don't know much about them myself just got mine but I've had them go in a civic and it was pretty rough as well
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Slasher
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Dillon, quick update, bushes on the rear 'A' frame gone, they could move the near side (or drivers side for those on the other side of the pond) one about half an inch backwards and forwards I dont know it both sides are supposed to be the same but they're not, looks like one is upside down (and shot). Mechanic thinks thats the problem as its letting the axle flex and thats whats probably causing the vibration through the propshaft and then through the car.

Part on order should be fixed Thursday.

Does this sound right, anyone else had this happen?

Thanks again.
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That definitely sounds like it would cause that good luck
Unread 04-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Slasher
2006 KJ Liberty 

Update

Boomerang changed, doesnt seem to wallow around as much now BUT the vibrations still there, nowhere near as bad as it was though. So I've decided I'm going to change the U Joint, 2 garages have said they checked them and said they are fine but one of them also passed an M.O.T. in Jan and 3 bushes dont go that quick

After looking on here and other places it seems its an easy part to get until you start double checking, aparently its a Spicer 1310 (rear u joint at axle) but I've also got 8 other part numbers depending on manufacturer .

Anyway it's going to have to wait and hopefully last another couple of hundred miles as I'm off to see Hadrians Wall and the first Hogwarts on Monday I'll let you know if it makes it!
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well sounds like you are getting it figured out lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.