bad drivetrain bearing, please help identify - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > bad drivetrain bearing, please help identify

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
foxman97
1997 ZJ 

bad drivetrain bearing, please help identify

just bought an car from a friend. he replaced the clutch a while ago (2 years?) with an act stage 2, he claims he replaced the throwout bearing however it is one of my suspect bearings. I would estimate that the car has about 300 miles on it since the clutch was changed. the noise is distinct almost sounds like drilling through steel at a slow speed, it's a growl and not high pitched. I can hear it while in neutral with the clutch engaged (pedal out), but goes away when the clutch his disengaged (pedal pressed). I can also hear it when the car is in motion whether the clutch is engaged or not, unless both the trans is in neutral and the clutch is disengaged (pedal pushed in) while rolling. I have read and been told multiple things but have yet to receive a clear answer. my suspect bearings are, the throwout/release bearing(main suspect), and the trans input shaft bearing. any help is appreciated.

Unread 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxman97 View Post
just bought an car from a friend. he replaced the clutch a while ago (2 years?) with an act stage 2, he claims he replaced the throwout bearing however it is one of my suspect bearings. I would estimate that the car has about 300 miles on it since the clutch was changed. the noise is distinct almost sounds like drilling through steel at a slow speed, it's a growl and not high pitched. I can hear it while in neutral with the clutch engaged (pedal out), but goes away when the clutch his disengaged (pedal pressed). I can also hear it when the car is in motion whether the clutch is engaged or not, unless both the trans is in neutral and the clutch is disengaged (pedal pushed in) while rolling. I have read and been told multiple things but have yet to receive a clear answer. my suspect bearings are, the throwout/release bearing(main suspect), and the trans input shaft bearing. any help is appreciated.
Not a trans pro but if the noise was from the input shaft I think the noise would never go away. I would venture to say the TO bearing is the noise maker.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
input shaft , throwout bearing , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.