Axles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Axles?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Mk50
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Axles?

Hey I'm thinking of buying g2 dana 60 front and rear. I currently have a dana 44 rear and dana 30 front.

I was wondering if I really need a 60 in the front or could I just have a 44 front and 60 rear, or 44 front 44 rear.

What do y'all recommend?

P.s. I have 37 inch tires and I'm planning to put in a golen 4.6 boosted stroker and a banks sidewinder turbo

Mk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Beware, some of the bolt in TJ D60 front axles use TJ outer parts.

Also, many of the TJ D44 bolt in front axles use TJ outer parts. And they will have the same size u-joint as your D30.

If you're going to upgrade the front, the key areas that should be upgraded are the knuckles, C's, brakes, unit bearings, and u-joints.

You might be able to make TJ front end parts live with 37s, but you will be pushing it.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Probably better off building d60's. With what you're planning the stock outers will be a risk.
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Solidkm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i agree with everyone above... dont piss with any axle 44 or 60 that still uses stock jeep outers. what good is a 9.75 inch ring gear with small outers?

i think that ordering a rear is a no go.

you have 2 real options with out killing the bank on a hybrid axle.

Option 1: A HD44 which will be high pinion with thick tubes, etc. However most will say that for the price of the 44, ESP if you add fancy shafts you might as well build a 60.

Option 2: go to pirate4x4.com and search the classifeds. 5 different 60s are posted for sale everyday. Be patient enough and you will find exactly what youre looking for... IE gear ratio, bracketry ETC. They say the king pin version of this axle is more desirable you can find them overpriced all the way to a really nice price. the balljoint version is harder to set up brackets for bc the short side is shorter than other 60 versions BUT it can be done for sure. the BJ version can be had much cheaper. Be warned that these axles are mad wide and you will have to address this. you can mix and match factory shafts and shorten the long side appx 2.4 inches depending on what version 60 you start with. Many guys run hummer H2 wheels bc they have aggressive backspacing to soak up some of the axle width. you can easily build an axle or grab one off the forum for cheaper than you can order one, and if you wait long enough.. you can get a pair that someone already had set up together.
3. A ford 8.8 is the only axle that has the capability to snag rocks, and other obstacles. Avoid this axle
Solidkm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Mk50
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So ordering a g2 would be pointless?

How much would it cost to get one off of the forum?
How hard is it to shorten one?
What about a currie rock jock front and rear?
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Price from forum depends on the seller.
Shortening depends on your wallet and the skill of whomever you decide to have it done.
Curry axles depend on your wallet.
You can build a set up for less than you can order one. And you'll be happier because you did it.
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Mk50
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna either build them or buy currie.
How should I go about building them?
I'm thinking from a junkyard, but if so what should I look for under what vehicle?
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Mk50
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking 32 spline chromoly shafts with arb locker front and rear 5.29 gears dana 60.
Any suggestions on brands knuckles anything to help me put together a build list part number and price would be appreciated thank you
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Solidkm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So im overseas right now with plenty of time... so i have been collecting parts for 4 months, to include everything for a 1 ton set up. Let me tell you what i have learned...

if you get a junkyard axle and you shop for a banging price locally.. you could get a 60 for 100 bucks and up, up, up. i keep reading on the forums of these dudes getting banging prices. i paid 750 for a complete 1997 ford high pinion 60. i thought that was a fair price. im learning that i could have done better. BUT if you get some **** that has been sitting in the dirt for 10 + years... if you need to start buying hubs, spindles, seals bearings ...there goes your budget.. ESP if you need to buy knuckles ...forget it.

sounds like you have some money to play with... your best bet is to determine what gear ratio you want... or width.. or both.. and watch the classifieds.. buy an axle that is already the width you want.. or the ratio you want and that will be a huge step. even if you spend 2-300 to have it shipped to you. FYI shortening the front doesnt seem like a monumental task. theres tons on the internet about this... even if youre not a welder.. and have to pay someone to burn the C back in.. i think anyone who can read a write up could do a narrowing job.

I HATE to be a follower but im learning that a 14 bolt is starting to surpass the rear 60 in every way. my rear 60 parts list is starting to add up to a nice chunk of change and i still need hubs... when the 14 (all, or at least many) already comes full floating. and can be had nice and cheap.

im not going to search this for you, but bc i check this 5 times a day.. and i can tell you there are several very nice axles on here that have not sold yet... and are banging deals. go for a couple laps on this site

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/32-ax...s-wheels-sale/
3. A ford 8.8 is the only axle that has the capability to snag rocks, and other obstacles. Avoid this axle
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Solidkm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so i gave in...

heres a pair of 9s for a TJ.. hes asking 2800.... can you order a front axle alone for under 2800?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...trs-socal.html

heres a low pinion 44 and 9 .. the front is already bracketed for a TJ. i wouldnt buy a LP 44. but the point is hes asking 2500 obo for the pair

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...set-up-xj.html

this has been sitting stagnant for over a month. if i didnt have axles already i would have strongly considered this front. heres your rock jock..narrowed already... with reid knuckles and Cs..you dont need those fancy shafts for 37s on a 60. ( relative ) but this sale should shoot to the top of your list...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...ront-axle.html

AND the matching rear from the same seller... here you go, done! make him an offer for the two..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...rear-axle.html

good luck
Unread 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The route I chose was a Currie RockJock 44 front with JK knuckles and RockJock 60 rear and will be on 37's. I looked at running a 60 up front but it would be a lot more expensive and I might as well run 40' tires.

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
Grunt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
Mk50
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkm View Post
So im overseas right now with plenty of time... so i have been collecting parts for 4 months, to include everything for a 1 ton set up. Let me tell you what i have learned...

if you get a junkyard axle and you shop for a banging price locally.. you could get a 60 for 100 bucks and up, up, up. i keep reading on the forums of these dudes getting banging prices. i paid 750 for a complete 1997 ford high pinion 60. i thought that was a fair price. im learning that i could have done better. BUT if you get some **** that has been sitting in the dirt for 10 + years... if you need to start buying hubs, spindles, seals bearings ...there goes your budget.. ESP if you need to buy knuckles ...forget it.

sounds like you have some money to play with... your best bet is to determine what gear ratio you want... or width.. or both.. and watch the classifieds.. buy an axle that is already the width you want.. or the ratio you want and that will be a huge step. even if you spend 2-300 to have it shipped to you. FYI shortening the front doesnt seem like a monumental task. theres tons on the internet about this... even if youre not a welder.. and have to pay someone to burn the C back in.. i think anyone who can read a write up could do a narrowing job.

I HATE to be a follower but im learning that a 14 bolt is starting to surpass the rear 60 in every way. my rear 60 parts list is starting to add up to a nice chunk of change and i still need hubs... when the 14 (all, or at least many) already comes full floating. and can be had nice and cheap.

im not going to search this for you, but bc i check this 5 times a day.. and i can tell you there are several very nice axles on here that have not sold yet... and are banging deals. go for a couple laps on this site

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/32-ax...s-wheels-sale/

Thanks!! You have been a huge help I like your idea I think I'm going to end up with a 60 font and a 14 full float rear. This sounds like it's going to be a bulletproof setup!!
Unread 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
Solidkm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt77 View Post
The route I chose was a Currie RockJock 44 front with JK knuckles and RockJock 60 rear and will be on 37's. I looked at running a 60 up front but it would be a lot more expensive and I might as well run 40' tires.
What did you pay for the RJ44? i have no issue w a 44 for my needs. (35-37 inch tires). I had a HD44 in my last TJ and never had an issue with it. But i just had the mindset... if im going to go thru the trouble of the 44...might as well do the 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk50 View Post
Thanks!! You have been a huge help I like your idea I think I'm going to end up with a 60 font and a 14 full float rear. This sounds like it's going to be a bulletproof setup!!
I would def grab that RJ60 i sent you, if i were you. I would find a 14B locally for as cheap as possible w disc brakes. I would spend the money to shave it properly AND i would turn ( shave ) the ring gear to do the maximum amount of shave. and call it a day. in hind sight i would have gotten a 14b vs a 60 rear and saved money.

note: 1 weak link of the 60 swap up front is they taper down from 35 spline (1.5 inch) inner axles to 31 spline ( 1.31 inch ) outer stub shafts. Easy fix; just buy dana 70 stubs p/n 3-82-871 or aftermarket replacement 35 spline stubs. add 35 spline drive flange or lock out and youre golden.

PM me your email and i will email you the spread sheet with all the 60 front shafts, lengths, BOMs etc
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
Mk50
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I found a company called Boyce Equipment and they are selling a 60 front and 14 rear for 2500

I looked into customizing there rebuilt units and ended up at 7,410
That's for arb, gears, and spring pads removed front and rear and disk breaks with parking break in the rear

Pas.out pm is full my email is kellum4136@gmail.com
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
Mk50
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Damn auto correct it's supposed to say p.s. Your

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.