Axle upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Axle upgrade?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
RussGAmtns

Axle upgrade?

I've got a '10 wrangler sport. Thinking about going with 35x12.5's and 4.88 gears after I do the necessary lift. Stock axles are Dana 44 rear and 35 front. I've had some shops tell me that I will need to upgrade my axles with chromolly shafts. Is this really needed?

RussGAmtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are those the same shops that said you have a d35 front? There is no d35 front, only d30 or d44. Either way your axles re fine for 35s, but upgrading the shafts wouldn't be a bad idea, depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
RussGAmtns

I still got the paper that was in the window when I bought it. I'm positive it said a 35 front. I'll double check it though. Either way if I do anything anytime soon swap the shafts in the front since it's a smaller axle.
Unread 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussGAmtns View Post
I still got the paper that was in the window when I bought it. I'm positive it said a 35 front. I'll double check it though. Either way if I do anything anytime soon swap the shafts in the front since it's a smaller axle.
No need to check the paper in the window. It's a Dana 30. Smaller axle, by number, is not what matters. What matters is the actual size of the axle shafts.
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
4xFugi

If you're gonna do 35s, take it from me, I run 35s and do "medium" hard 4xs. You NEED something bomb proof in the back, but that 30 up front is fine. This comes from a guy who learned the hard way out in Moab - twice in the same day! Busted the rear axle twice on the same trail some 12 years ago since I did not have the proper upgraded axles.
So, I would say if you're doing "light"and I mean very light wheeling, then get a stronger shaft with more splines. I went to a Ford 9" with super string Mark Williams 35 spline shafts and they are very affordable.
4xFugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
RussGAmtns

I appreciate the input. I've done mechanical work since way before I could drive (legally) and can make anything run fast but haven't done much hands-on with building an off road vehicle up from bone stock. I feel confident that most people on here give a damn about someone else for advice.
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

so have you figured out what axles you have?? there is a big difference in a d30, d35, and d44... If you do have a d35, I wouldn't waste your money to upgrade it, just replace it if you are going to try any serious wheeling.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
RussGAmtns

Yep. It is a d30 front. Not sure where I was getting d35 from other than maybe being burned out from long hours on the road several days at a time. I think I will wait a while till I can dump a good amount of money into my JK. I don't want to go out with a half *** build. I want to do it right the first time around and keep this thing where it will stay reliable out on the trail. I got a pretty good set of metric sized A/T tires that are quite a bit taller than stock. They are roughly 32". I've been pretty rough on this thing off road still with bone stock suspension and have had a lot of fun with it and had no issues.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.