Axle upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Axle upgrade?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
RussGAmtns

Axle upgrade?

I've got a '10 wrangler sport. Thinking about going with 35x12.5's and 4.88 gears after I do the necessary lift. Stock axles are Dana 44 rear and 35 front. I've had some shops tell me that I will need to upgrade my axles with chromolly shafts. Is this really needed?

RussGAmtns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are those the same shops that said you have a d35 front? There is no d35 front, only d30 or d44. Either way your axles re fine for 35s, but upgrading the shafts wouldn't be a bad idea, depends on what kind of wheeling you do.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
RussGAmtns

I still got the paper that was in the window when I bought it. I'm positive it said a 35 front. I'll double check it though. Either way if I do anything anytime soon swap the shafts in the front since it's a smaller axle.
Unread 05-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussGAmtns View Post
I still got the paper that was in the window when I bought it. I'm positive it said a 35 front. I'll double check it though. Either way if I do anything anytime soon swap the shafts in the front since it's a smaller axle.
No need to check the paper in the window. It's a Dana 30. Smaller axle, by number, is not what matters. What matters is the actual size of the axle shafts.
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
4xFugi

If you're gonna do 35s, take it from me, I run 35s and do "medium" hard 4xs. You NEED something bomb proof in the back, but that 30 up front is fine. This comes from a guy who learned the hard way out in Moab - twice in the same day! Busted the rear axle twice on the same trail some 12 years ago since I did not have the proper upgraded axles.
So, I would say if you're doing "light"and I mean very light wheeling, then get a stronger shaft with more splines. I went to a Ford 9" with super string Mark Williams 35 spline shafts and they are very affordable.
4xFugi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
RussGAmtns

I appreciate the input. I've done mechanical work since way before I could drive (legally) and can make anything run fast but haven't done much hands-on with building an off road vehicle up from bone stock. I feel confident that most people on here give a damn about someone else for advice.
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

so have you figured out what axles you have?? there is a big difference in a d30, d35, and d44... If you do have a d35, I wouldn't waste your money to upgrade it, just replace it if you are going to try any serious wheeling.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
RussGAmtns

Yep. It is a d30 front. Not sure where I was getting d35 from other than maybe being burned out from long hours on the road several days at a time. I think I will wait a while till I can dump a good amount of money into my JK. I don't want to go out with a half *** build. I want to do it right the first time around and keep this thing where it will stay reliable out on the trail. I got a pretty good set of metric sized A/T tires that are quite a bit taller than stock. They are roughly 32". I've been pretty rough on this thing off road still with bone stock suspension and have had a lot of fun with it and had no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.