Axle swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Axle swap question

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
broylz
1971 CJ5 

Axle swap question

let's say i come across a deal too good to pass up on a high pinion dana 60 front that is a driver's side drop and i need a passenger side drop. is it basically as simple, simple isn't the right word i'm sure but oh well, as swapping the drivers side short tube to the passenger side and the same with the long tube and then swapping axles around as well?

axles are one of very few areas of a vehicle i've never messed with. im looking to get a dana 60, maybe a 44, high pinion front axle and swap it into my 71 CJ5 with a 4bt cummins diesel, sm65 and dana 300. rear will hopefully be a matching dana 60/44 high pinion to help the short driveshaft as much as possible. would prefer a build like i just read about using front hubs to make a full floating rear as well as matching front disk breaks and calipers on the rear.

broylz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

You will never have a hp44/60 without swapping tubes. Only ford ran hp axles. Wrong side diff. Grind welds, pop inner C off and measure. Cut long side down to short side spec. This is the tricky part, will need some sort of tooling to align the tubes, which obviously need to be straight. And sleeve the new long side with 4-6" of dom tube. Welding is a given here. Have thought about it many times. Haven't taken the plunge yet.
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

1971 was the last year for the Jeep offset rear Dana 44 it's also a flanged Dana 44
good axle. You can't run a Dana 300.

Your best bet is to sell it and buy a later 72-75 CJ5 longer hood and wheelbase by 3" Then you will have a centered flanged Dana 44 then you can run a Dana 20 or Dana 300

I had a 71 CJ5
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.