Axle recommendations - Commando on 33's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Axle recommendations - Commando on 33's

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Axle recommendations - Commando on 33's

We have a '73 Commando we recently acquired running SOA on trashed leafs and a 3" BL (terrible, I know). We will be (and actually just did) running it in the Small Tire Street class in 4x4cross mud slings. This limits a maximum of a 33" tire. The Commando uses a 304 V8, 400 Turbo trans, a Dana 20, and is currently equipped with a Dana 30 up front and what I believe is a Toyota 8" in the rear. Both are welded. I have zero confidence in the current setup and am looking for some options on what would be better. I'm thinking looking for a front 44 out of a '73-'77 3/4 or 1/2 ton Chevy and the 10 or 12 bolt that would be in the rear, or a pair of Waggy 44s. We already have a Dodge 60 but that's a little big for 33's. Also have a spare 8.8 but I'm fairly confident it would be far too narrow. So, options and opinions?

Also, if anyone knows what leafs from a junkyard would be a direct swap, that would be insanely helpful.

A pic for the hell of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Run some Scout 2 Dana 44 axles or Waggy axles.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just be careful of the front diff location. Scout good Some Waggy bad.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Just be careful of the front diff location. Scout good Some Waggy bad.
Yea, early Waggy only. Sorry I haven't responded. the software gave me a lifetime ban I had to get fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.