Axle recommendations - Commando on 33's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Axle recommendations - Commando on 33's

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Axle recommendations - Commando on 33's

We have a '73 Commando we recently acquired running SOA on trashed leafs and a 3" BL (terrible, I know). We will be (and actually just did) running it in the Small Tire Street class in 4x4cross mud slings. This limits a maximum of a 33" tire. The Commando uses a 304 V8, 400 Turbo trans, a Dana 20, and is currently equipped with a Dana 30 up front and what I believe is a Toyota 8" in the rear. Both are welded. I have zero confidence in the current setup and am looking for some options on what would be better. I'm thinking looking for a front 44 out of a '73-'77 3/4 or 1/2 ton Chevy and the 10 or 12 bolt that would be in the rear, or a pair of Waggy 44s. We already have a Dodge 60 but that's a little big for 33's. Also have a spare 8.8 but I'm fairly confident it would be far too narrow. So, options and opinions?

Also, if anyone knows what leafs from a junkyard would be a direct swap, that would be insanely helpful.

A pic for the hell of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Run some Scout 2 Dana 44 axles or Waggy axles.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just be careful of the front diff location. Scout good Some Waggy bad.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
Just be careful of the front diff location. Scout good Some Waggy bad.
Yea, early Waggy only. Sorry I haven't responded. the software gave me a lifetime ban I had to get fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.