Axle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Axle question

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Axle question

I have an 05 X with a D35 rear axle. My Jeep has always drifted towards the left. Recently I got a new set of Coopers to replace my GSA's (which cured the death wobble) and had an alignment done at Firestone. Anywho, Firestone said that my rear axle is off 0.56 degrees on the right rear tire. They gave me 3 options on why... (1) I hit something when wheeling and bent the axle tube. (2) My 2"BB caused the problem when it was installed. (3) It was wrong from the facory. Now, I don't wheel the Jeep super hard and don't remember banging the axle, and I also don't see how the BB could have caused this, which leaves option 3. Has anyone else out there had this problem? Jeep won't cover it beacuse they say I caused it. If it is a bent axle tube, how hard is it to have it fixed and how much should I be looking to spend? If it makes a difference, when I replaced my original tires, the right rear wore much more quickly than the rest. It was almost bald at 13K miles. Any input would be appreciated. Thanx in advance guys.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

why wouldnt jeep cover this, a BB doesnt void the warranty, and it not like your running "35 tires. i would push the warranty a bit farther
Unread 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The stealership also told me since I dented the transfer case skid (which is a structural piece) that my 7/100 powertrain warrenty is mostlikely void. They say they won't cover it beacsue I can't prove it was like that from the factory. They are saying that I damaged the axle tube.

2005 Solar Yellow X
www.wnyoffroad.org
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just scrap the dana 35 and upgrade to a better rear axle then you shouldn't have to worry about it.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDolly
I have an 05 X with a D35 rear axle. My Jeep has always drifted towards the left. and had an alignment done at Firestone. Anywho, Firestone said that my rear axle is off 0.56 degrees on the right rear tire. (2) My 2"BB caused the problem when it was installed.
When you install a 2" lift, it will shift the rear axle towards the passenger side.

If you want it fixed, you can

1) get a track bar re-location bracket

or

2) get an adjustable track bar

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I should have been more specific... The toe on the right rear tire is off by .56 degrees. I believe that is more than the allowance for both rear tires combined.

2005 Solar Yellow X
www.wnyoffroad.org
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

is it financed through chrysler credit?? if it is call them and demand warranty issues be resolved or tell them you will be going through arbitration. vehicle leans are subject to arbitration. they dont wanna deal with a hassle like this and will get a dealer ot fix it cheap or free. if its financed through your own bank you kinda out of luck. and yes you did bend your dana 35, its easy to do! dont feel bad many others have done this.
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.