AX15 Off of Craigslist Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > AX15 Off of Craigslist Questions

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
pbenda
1991 MJ Comanche 

AX15 Off of Craigslist Questions

So the internal slave on my jeep is once again (third time) hemorrhaging clutch fluid, I believe the input ball bearing on the main shaft is starting to fail, it will whine when in neutral with the clutch let out. I am also sure that my second gear syncro is gone.

I decided enough is enough I am doing the external slave conversion. After a few weeks of searching craigslist I found a used ax15 from a 95 Cherokee sport. I unfortunately did not get a chance to drive it before hand, the guys said the engine it was attached to had 220k miles on it, and the clutch had been replaced within the past few months. And knowing little about the new to me transmission I thought I would rebuild it and then swap it with the one in my Comanche.

Well it is now opened up on my workbench and it really seems to look fine, at least to my untrained eyes. Here are some pictures of everything.

I may not have 25 posts yet so can someone help me out by quoting this part?

More pictures in my album:
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...x15%20rebuild/

And this is where my questions come in:
What do you guys think I should do next, rebuild it or run it to find out if anything is wrong? Mind you I have not purchased a rebuild kit yet, I would also need to acquire/borrow a hydraulic press

I do have a set of feeler gauges so i can check the tolerances on the shafts.

Any hints on what you would check for wear or clearance and/or replace while itís in this state?

Thanks Guys!
Patric

pbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I will let the tranny guys help you out more but the gears look good to my untrained eye as well. The only thing that caught my eye was what looks like stress cracks in the case on the last pic. If they are on the outside as well I would worry about it. Other than that if everything seems tight I would button it up and run it.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
mmerlinn

I see no stress cracks in the case. Too many people confuse cracks with normal casting anomalies.

Based on what I see, I would run with it if the bearings are quiet when you spin them.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
pbenda
1991 MJ Comanche 

Thanks Guys! Yea the cracks/casting anomalies worried me for a bit, then I figured if the last guy ran it that way, it should hold up to my use just fine.

The gears an syncros look great to me, and most of the bearings seem fine, although the front input shaft bearing to me feels a little rough, and if its not a big hassle to get it off, i will probably replace it.

I appreciate the replies,
Thanks,
Patric
pbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
mmerlinn

If it feels rough, replace it. If you don't, you will be doing it down the road and probably damage one or more gears.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
r3dn3k
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I work in a magnesium / aluminum casting plant and those cracks are on the die steel that forms the part. Due to thermal shock of heating and cooling the die. It has no effects on the strength of the part.
r3dn3k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax15 , comanche , questions , rebuild

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.