AX15 internal to external throw out bearing swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > AX15 internal to external throw out bearing swap

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
medictanker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

AX15 internal to external throw out bearing swap

Can I just swap out the bell housing and parts or is there more

medictanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
eglide72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just did my '93. You need the external slave bellhousing, external slave cylinder, different fork and bearing, different bearing retainer (it has a long nose for bearing to slide on), and new line between master and slave. Scored my bearing retainer from a dakota in the junk yard for cheap, advanced adapters sells the line kit, and bought the bellhousing on ebay. There is a bunch of threads here that could help you out if you do a search. It's a great upgrade. Oh ya and alot patience to get the top bellhousing bolts out.
eglide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eglide72 View Post
Just did my '93. You need the external slave bellhousing, external slave cylinder, different fork and bearing, different bearing retainer (it has a long nose for bearing to slide on), and new line between master and slave. Scored my bearing retainer from a dakota in the junk yard for cheap, advanced adapters sells the line kit, and bought the bellhousing on ebay. There is a bunch of threads here that could help you out if you do a search. It's a great upgrade. Oh ya and alot patience to get the top bellhousing bolts out.
Do you have donor information on that Dakota? I'd like to confirm my notes...
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
eglide72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I read about it here or in JP mag. Dakota ran the ax15 for a number of years, I'm thinking mine came out of a '97. I will think some more and thumb thru some old issues and post again if I come up with it. That was the hardest part to find. It was cheap, but I had to pull it myself. I think $20+/-
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
eglide72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Still can't remember where I got the dakota idea from but this is one of the write ups I used. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...p-pics-965067/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.