AX-15 options or replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > AX-15 options or replacement

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
JTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

AX-15 options or replacement

Hey all,

I have been having some issues with my AX-15 on my 98 TJ, only 88k. I believe it is the throw out bearing that is whining which might have been caused by a slow leak I found and it was too late by then. Also, drained the fluid in the tranny and found some metal filings in it...so not good. I am not really sure what caused this so I am gonna take it to a local guy to look at before I do anything. My question is if you all have some knowledge on some options for me. I was searching the web and on here and am just getting some ideas. It seems another AX-15 would be the best bet but I am not sure what years...97-06? I also read about another option of an NV3550 but I am not sure if that will bolt up to my bellhousing and transfer case. I am also gonna look at what was actually damaged in the tranny to see if it might be easier just to have the damaged parts replaced instead of buying a whole new tranny. I really would like to stick with a manual for what its worth. Hope you guys can help!

Thanks,
J

JTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
TJRanger
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am looking to have my 97 TJ trany rebuild also. it is an automatic and my 2nd gear band is shot.
got a quote of around 975.00 to do it.
Mine has 93,000miles.
Looking to see if this price is in line with a rebuild
Also concerned about having to have this done at 93,000 miles.
All maintenance is regular and just changed the fluid and it looked great.
It is what it is but curious if this is common or not.

RIP 97 2.5L TJ/2BB/Pacesetter Headers/Cold Air Intake/32in ProComp Mud Terrains/6in smitty flares/DynoMax exhaust.
TJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
spk454
1983 CJ8 

the folks at rockland standard gear (rsgear.com) say the ax-15 is FAR superior to the nv3550 which has had shifting and parts availability issues since jeep replaced the ax-15. I also think the nv is not a direct replacement. You can buy a new ax-15 from them for 995 with your core, others on e-bay sell them rebuilt from 645. RSG has a highly modified , bolt -in ax-15 that uses parts from a supra turbo and can handle 485ft/lbs. for1695 (overkill for a stock jeep). just some info...
spk454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
A-man930

Subscribing...
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.