Ax-15 OR NV3550 manual trans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ax-15 OR NV3550 manual trans

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Mike_rosati
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ax-15 OR NV3550 manual trans

I have a 97 Tj Sport 4.0 5 speed with the Ax-15 tranny in it, with 80K miles, only shifting problems ive had with it is Reverse is a pain sometimes (which from my understanding is common).

Buddy of mine has an 03 Tj Sport 4.0, 5 speed, with 60K on it but has the NV3550 trans.

anyway i drove his the other day, and his trans seemed A LOT quieter, and quite a bit easier to shift than mine (his shifts like butter, where as mine takes a little push into gear..doesnt take an excessive effort tho), and others have said the same exact thing

so just to start with the basics before i go on a wild goose chase... i changed the fluid in my trans to the recommended grade and weight. no change..

So My question for you guys is

Is his NV3550 a quieter, smoother shifting trans.
or is my AX-15 just a little old and tired causing the harder shift, and the bit of extra noise.

What do you guys think? interested to see because if the NV is better than the AX im considering a swap. if not im just gonna rip the AX apart, see if it needs anything (possible rebuild) then put it back in.

Mike_rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
97wrangler-242
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the ax15 also and it needs rebuilt or replaced. Few syncs are out. I plan on putting a nv3550 behind my stroker I'm building because they are supposed to hold more power and like you said shift smoother. On your reverse issue, what I've always done when it doesn't want to go in is put pressure on the shifter into reverse and ease off the clutch real slow and as soon as it starts to grab it slips right in. Also at a dead stop, try putting it n 1st before reverse. But at 80k miles if you have no excessive play, grinding, or wining I'd leave it be. If it needs work, I think it would be worth the time to track down a good nv3550 instead of rebuilding the ax15
97wrangler-242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Mike_rosati
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ill have to try that with reverse tomorrow! i usually have to ease the clutch but the first to reverse is something ive never heard gotta give it a shot

im dying to find someone with a fresh rebuild on an AX-15 to compare it with a NV3550.
Mike_rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
97wrangler-242
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_rosati
ill have to try that with reverse tomorrow! i usually have to ease the clutch but the first to reverse is something ive never heard gotta give it a shot

im dying to find someone with a fresh rebuild on an AX-15 to compare it with a NV3550.
Not sure your price range for the swap but there's a seller on eBay that has brand new nv3550s for a grand shipped. Not terrible for something with 0 miles on it
97wrangler-242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax-15 manual , nv3550 , tranny rebuild , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.