AW4 problems? Maybe Torque Converter? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 problems? Maybe Torque Converter?

Hey guys, Ive been searching but cant seem to find anyone with my same problems.

I haven't driven my jeep in a while and today I started it up and it didn't want to go... it was engaged and revving but felt like there was no torque. I put it in 4 low and it had more torque but still not normal. I finally got it out to the street and it would drive in 2wd but the rpms were much higher than normal and if I came to a hill you can just forget it. had to put it in 4wd and rev it up to 4000rpms to slowly creep up the hill.

The tranny fluid is nice and red, not burnt. The last time I drove the jeep I noticed this happening slightly but only when cold... but it would always go away. Today I got it really warm and still no go.

I'm not sure where to start but am leaning towards the torque converter. Anyone have thoughts or input?

Thanks,

Edit - I just figured out that I have plenty of torque in Reverse. So is it possible that when I put it into drive it's going straight to 3rd or 4th gear? That would explain why I have more torque in 4 low and plenty of torque in Reverse. But I still don't know what the problem is?

Website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- The Best Offroad Videos of Youtube with None of the Boring Stuff!
You Tube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Awesome Jeep Related How-To Videos in HD.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Does the TC stall at normal RPM? Can you manually shift it down to a lower gear? Anyway is a TC was the problem it should have the same symptoms in Rev as in Fwd. Without more detail it sounds like you might be taking off in a higher gear. Do you have access to a scanner that can read codes? Sounds like its in default mode so maybe the manual shift positions will do something or maybe it could be a problem with the shift solenoids.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, Ya just a while ago I figured out I can manually shift it down into first no problem. So what is happening is it must be going straight to 3rd or 4th gear when I put it in drive. I don't have a scanner... It is a 1988 XJ.

Website -
You Tube -

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"

post #4 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Up under the dash on the passenger side is an inline fuse. I think it's a yellow wire. Provides power to the TCU. Pull the fuse. I bet it's blown or corroded.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #5 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Up under the dash on the passenger side is an inline fuse. I think it's a yellow wire. Provides power to the TCU. Pull the fuse. I bet it's blown or corroded.
thanks, I tried that but it seems to be fine

Website -
You Tube -

post #6 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Tried this?

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an 87 to 90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.

Revised 9-10-2012

post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Tried this?

Cruiserís Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an 87 to 90 Renix, itís always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While youíre there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out itís receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.

Revised 9-10-2012
No, but I'll give that a try next, thanks!

Website -
You Tube -

post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

ok, I found a great writeup here: http://www.transonline.com/transdige...ers/index.html

I followed this advice and found a small negative voltage at C10 WITHOUT the brake depressed and more negative voltage when the brake IS depressed. He doesn't mention negative voltage or what to do if there is voltage even without the brake depressed...

Any thoughts?

What is negative voltage anyway??

Website -
You Tube -

post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleepinJeep View Post
What is negative voltage anyway??
Thats when you have the meter leads reversed.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Thats when you have the meter leads reversed.
Pretty much.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Well I couldn't figure it out so I replaced the TCU and problem solved...

Website -
You Tube -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.