Automatic to Manual Swap: Need Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Automatic to Manual Swap: Need Advice

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Dub2187
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Automatic to Manual Swap: Need Advice

I'm an owner of a 2004 Wrangler LJ 4.0L I6 engine with an automatic transmission. I was curious as to how much much a tans swap would cost on average if im going from and auto to a manual, what parts other than the transmission would i need to purchase, would i be better off financially if i did the swap myself or took it to a shop, and is it worth the investment if i use it as a daily driver and an occasional off-roader. I've recently learned how to drive manual in my buddy's 89 ford ranger 2wd and i love it. i would greatly appreciate the advice.

Dub2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

The good thing about jeeps is when they are produced from the factory they have the option of installing a clutcha nd third pedal. What i mean is if you had 2 jeeps same specs except one with a manual and other with an automatic, it would be a straight foreward install jsut swapping out 2 transmission and installing the cluth pedal would be the hardest part sicne you ahve to cut through the firewall. Also, the jeeps body shoudl ahve all the mounting locations for the slave cylinder. It will be cheaper to do yourself if you have the tools. If you can sell your auto tranny it should not end up costing that much money and prolly be done for under $1000. Going to a shop it will cost much more.

As far as being a good investment its up to you to decide. I love my manual and would never buy a jeep without one. As far as off roading it takes a while to get use to clutch control, but to some its more rewarding to do an obstacle in a manual compared to an automatic. I recently helped my dad swap a 3 speed manual into a 72 chevelle that had an automatic and it was difficult and overwhelming at times but it was worth every penny and the entire winter of laying on frozen concrete freezing doing the swap.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd leave it as an auto, but that's personal preference.

I like shifting in a quick car with tight, short throws, but I don't want to bang gears in a Jeep.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
automatic transmission , manual transmission , swapping , transmission , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.