Auto Transmission Delay into Drive on LJ 4-speed auto - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Auto Transmission Delay into Drive on LJ 4-speed auto

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
TFERV
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Auto Transmission Delay into Drive on LJ 4-speed auto

I have a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited (2-door LJ) which has the 42LRE 4-speed auto transmission. I just had the transmission rebuilt and installed a new billet torque converter and Level 2 shift kit.

The rebuild made a big difference; however, the transmission still takes a second or 2 to engage when going from Park to Drive. This mostly just happens once the trany is warmed up. The rebuild made this issue much better but it still does it. When I first put it in drive it makes a buzzing sound (like it is trying to engage) before it engages. If I throttle before it engages (before the buzzing stops) it makes a "clunk, clunk, clunk" sound and then engages. This is the only issue other than that the trany works great.

If you know what the issue could be that would be great! Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.