auto shutdown relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > auto shutdown relay

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
JOELTML
1996 ZJ 

auto shutdown relay

anyone know where the auto shutdown relay is on a 96 jgc? Im not getting any power to coil. It just shut off going down the road and never started again. and at the code reader port it shows on link with the key on

JOELTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOELTML View Post
anyone know where the auto shutdown relay is on a 96 jgc? Im not getting any power to coil. It just shut off going down the road and never started again. and at the code reader port it shows on link with the key on
Why don't you get a code reader and pull any DTC's that might be stored in the brain?

The ASD relay is in the PDC under the hood.

See if you are getting spark out of the ignition module that feeds voltage to the distributor. If it dies so does the engine.

If not and you are not flooding this engine then the crank position sensor may be the culprit.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
JOELTML
1996 ZJ 

96jgc wont start

I have a code reader but getting a NO LINK on it. I think the pcm/ecu has a problem
Unread 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a code reader but getting a NO LINK on it. I think the pcm/ecu has a problem
Does the '96 have the universal plug for the code reader?

How come I have read '96 DTC codes and they are two digit codes like OBD1 codes are? Is this a cross over year for the codes? IF it is then maybe the OBD2 code reader can't talk to the OBD1 brain......

In any event when you tirn your key to the ON position does your CEL light up for a few seconds? If not then you may have a bad brain. Let the key stay on if it does not light up. Once it does the engine will then fire and that tell you that you have bad capacitors in your brain. And you can fix this yourself for small money. The fix is all over this forum and the 'net.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
aheffner
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

I have a 96 cherokee sport and i think im having similar problems, mines turning over but it wont start up. I have spark and my fuel pump on whinning but i dont know where to start really. It was running great for eight straight months then out of the blue wouldnt start up one day.
aheffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheffner View Post
I have a 96 cherokee sport and i think im having similar problems, mines turning over but it wont start up. I have spark and my fuel pump on whinning but i dont know where to start really. It was running great for eight straight months then out of the blue wouldnt start up one day.
What is your fuel pressure? If your fuel pressure is not 40psi +/- 2psi the fuel pump in the fuel tank is NG. The fuel rail has a test port for a fuel pump pressure gauge.

Fuel pumps should not make a lot of noise. Try banging on the bottom of the tank and then see if it starts. If it does the fuel pump is NG.

Unread 11-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
JOELTML
1996 ZJ 

50 lb on the fuel perssure gauge
Unread 11-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
JOELTML
1996 ZJ 

i have replaced the pcm/ecu twice with used ones that are both remanufactured so i beleave they both are good but have the security system in them and my jgc does not. do most have the ss or am i just luck getting 2 . and is there any way to tell if a jgc has the ss in a junk yard?
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is this an OBDII code reader?

Unread 11-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
From the FSM the brain (PCM) opens and closes the ignition coil ground circuit to operate the ignition coil. This is done to adjust ignition timing (base) and advance, and for changing engine operating conditions.

The amount of electronic spark advance provided by the PCM is determined by five input factors:
engine coolant temperature,
engine rpm,
intake manifold temperature,
manifold absolute pressure and
throttle position.

OK. ignition coil has voltage fed to it through a 18awg dg/or wire from the ASD relay through a splice near injector #5. Have a buddy turn it over while you check for votage there.

The ground is a 18awg gy/wt wire which comes from pin A7 of the PCM don't forget the igniton coil must be physiclly grounded also.

And the coil must be good!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.