Auto shutdown - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Auto shutdown

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
greenjeep05

Auto shutdown

Got a 2005 wrangler rubicon went to get smoged and it failed then when I drove off it shut down. Got it home let it sit for a day then it started up an ran til it got to allmost normal operating tempture then started shutting down. So it runs fine until it warms up then it shuts down. I got 3 error codes for o2 sensors an miss fires . I replaced the o2 sensors and still fails so now I have ordered a PCM

greenjeep05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Red Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Repair the cause of the miss fires or you will be replacing your converters.
Red Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeep05 View Post
Got a 2005 wrangler rubicon went to get smoged and it failed then when I drove off it shut down. Got it home let it sit for a day then it started up an ran til it got to allmost normal operating tempture then started shutting down. So it runs fine until it warms up then it shuts down. I got 3 error codes for o2 sensors an miss fires . I replaced the o2 sensors and still fails so now I have ordered a PCM
I do not think it is the PCM. It is most likely the crank sensor which provides one of the reference signals for timing and injector firing. Make sure there is no oil dripping into the sensor.

Get the Jeep to run poorly and then shut it off. Unplug the crank sensor and then plug it back in. See if that changes anything.

Buy an OEM crank sensor from the dealer!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cr...sensor-157018/

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
greenjeep05

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeep05
Replaced the PCM drove 50 miles and the engine light came on an gave me error code P2098 - downstream fuel trim system to lean. Checked o2 sensors and tightened them really good ( they are new Bosch sensors) and had shop clear the code.
greenjeep05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeep05 View Post
Replaced the PCM drove 50 miles and the engine light came on an gave me error code P2098 - downstream fuel trim system to lean. Checked o2 sensors and tightened them really good ( they are new Bosch sensors) and had shop clear the code.
It looks like my 'guesstimate' was wrong. I just hate throwing big money at a potential problem, unless all other options were at least considered and anything that could be eliminated by a test was tested.

Usually if the PCM fails the capacitors go bad. That prevents the engine from firing until you leave the key in the ON position long enough for them to recharge.

Do you still have the old PCM? If you do swap it back in just for the heck of it. I wonder if it was the PCM or possibly a loose PCM plug....but then again you may not want to know that!

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.