aussie locker install question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > aussie locker install question

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Devilstoy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

aussie locker install question

i just installed 4:56 gears and an aussie locker in the front of my 97 xj dana 30 , im not a master at gears but i have a good general idea and done em before , and my rear came out great , so my question is , i check everything with the paint and have a good bite and even flo (no problems here ) the back lash was perfect , once i installed my axels and closed everything up the pinion (back lash) feels like it turns a bit more to actually turn the axels , is this because there is more mechanics to actually be turned before the axels turn ? its not a crazy amount of play and its still a bit better then before i took it apart , im just wondering if this is normal because i didnt have this problem when i did my detroit and gears in my rear axel

Devilstoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
mdimmick
1946 CJ2A 

Never used an aussie, but with most lockers comes a bit of play. Some more than others. With a Detroit it can be a quarter turn of the driveshaft and still be within spec.
mdimmick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
red2001tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've got an aussie. It has quite a bit of rotational play in the driveshaft before it engages the axles. It's perfectly normal and due to the cross shaft having some play before it engages the locker.
red2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.