Aussie Locker Dana 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Aussie Locker Dana 30

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Dizzle
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie Locker Dana 30

Hey guys I've heard lots of good things about the Aussie locker. I have an 01 TJ and want to install a locker in the front (dana 30). What are the on road characteristics of the Aussie when driving in 2wd? How well does it lock off road? Is it a good locker for tight trails? How much should I pay for installation if I do get one? Any help with any of these questions would be great. Thanks

Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You double posted. I just put an Aussie Locker in my D30, and it works great. It is invisible in 2wd because the command track (I think thats what they call the vacuum disconnect) disengages the right side axle. I took it on the Rubicon 2 weeks ago and it was assume. There was only a slightly tougher problem with steering. But that is true of all lockers.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Edward777
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i think it is a great bang for the buck im getting ready to do it and im convinced...customer service is great and if anything does happen oh well they will replace it. Its a great way to suprise your jeep friends!
Edward777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To summarize, you won't even notice the Aussie's (or Lockrite or No-Slip) presence when you're driving in 2wd.

The TJ does not disconnect the passenger-side hub from the axleshaft like the YJ does. Instead, the TJ's transfer case completely disconnects the front driveshaft when in 2wd which keeps the locker from locking up hard enough to notice until you shift into 4x4.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
To summarize, you won't even notice the Aussie's (or Lockrite or No-Slip) presence when you're driving in 2wd.

The TJ does not disconnect the passenger-side hub from the axleshaft like the YJ does. Instead, the TJ's transfer case completely disconnects the front driveshaft when in 2wd which keeps the locker from locking up hard enough to notice until you shift into 4x4.

TJs don't have a vacuum disconnect? I didn't know that.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
VT2BAD4U
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Installed Aussies front and rear. Very easy to install. The grin factor alone is priceless, when you can just walk up and over obsticles that used to a challenge. No noticable added steering problems in tight places that were'nt there before. The rear inner tire sometimes "cherps"or spins on tight turns, but that's not that big of a deal either. Just use less throttle. Sounds like a clacky toy while turning tight, but you'll get use to it. The added benefits far exceed the very minor inconveniences, if you can call them that. Great bang for the buck.
VT2BAD4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
H2_RECOVERY
1982 CJ8 

Has anyone here driven it in snow ? How did it do on road in 4wd during a snow storm while turning. Did it really under steer?
1982 Jeep Cj8 Scrambler, Chevy ls 5.3 liter with a mild cam and flowed heads and painless tuning 4l60e transmission and dana 300 transfer case along with a SOA and black Diamond 2" springs and a 1 " daystar body lift. Rolling on 35s with ected lockers and 4:56 gears
[url]www.beltway4wd.com[/url]
H2_RECOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered mine a few minutes ago.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2_RECOVERY
Has anyone here driven it in snow ? How did it do on road in 4wd during a snow storm while turning. Did it really under steer?
You really don't want to have a front automatic locker installed if you have to drive in 4x4 on snow or ice-covered streets. For those conditions, I'd go with an ARB Air Locker so you can leave the front locker disengaged on slick road surfaces when you have to drive in 4wd.

Unread 10-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's fun in snow til it gets packed down to ice. I try to get out before the &*%^$ salt trucks.
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have anything to add about snow but I installed mine 2 weeks ago and just got back from the Jamboree in Murphy NC. All I can say is holy Sh$t!!! It's completely invisible and silent on the road. On the trail it's AWESOME. It's easily the best 250 bucks I've ever spent on the jeep. It was pretty fun to install too...unless your jeep spent a couple of winters in Minnesota - the front axle knuckle thing took a little coercion to come apart.

I also added a Solid diff cover while I had it apart.

jim
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
Broken_Soldier
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
You really don't want to have a front automatic locker installed if you have to drive in 4x4 on snow or ice-covered streets. For those conditions, I'd go with an ARB Air Locker so you can leave the front locker disengaged on slick road surfaces when you have to drive in 4wd.
Ok I was just about to post a thread asking specifically about this. I want to get a front aussie, but icy conditions are a guarantee in OK during winter. So, my question is, why is this not a good idea? What's going on mechanically that rules this out? Is it just that the slippage causes the locker to always be locked even under turning, causing binding in the axle?
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Soldier
Is it just that the slippage causes the locker to always be locked even under turning, causing binding in the axle?
Exactly. There is not enough traction on an icy road to help the locker unlock for turns. An automatic's normal mode is locked, it unlocks when one tire starts rotating faster than the other... as the outside tire must do during a turn. If that outside tire slips during the turn as it can on ice, the locker won't unlock and you'll have both tires turning at the same time during the turn... making that turn impossible or at least with a great deal of understeer.

Unread 10-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I love having the locker in front, but off road I get a plowing effect. It usually happens when I turn sharply, and am traveling up hill. The front tires pull, but don't actually turn until you start moving some. I really noticed this a lot the weekend before last. I would have to make sharp turns on these big rocks, and there were steep ledges on the sides, so I had very little playroom to make the turn before I slipped off the side and went rubber side up. It's not a major issue, and I haven't noticed it much before, but in the circumstances I was in then, I could really tell a difference. On the other hand, had I not been locked, I doubt I would have made it to the position where I had the opportunity to notice this. This is why auto lockers aren't great in the ice.

I suspect this is true for any locker though, but just something I thought I would add.
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #15
Broken_Soldier
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry. Guess I'll get an aussie for the rear and use the ice thing as an excuse to look into getting a rubi axle up front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.