Auburn ECTED? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Auburn ECTED?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #31
Flyingbrass

easy.

I got mine installed. Mechanic told me that sometimes it might not unlock and all you have to do is turn the key off and the magnets will let go. I haven't had a problem but he told me just in case it don't unlock. I haven't tested it yet but hope to soon. Mine is for the Dana 30 in the front of my 04 Unlimited.

2004 Flame Red Unlimited, 4"Superlift suspension lift, 33" BFG MT's, Pro Comp Extreme Alloys 1079's, 4.56 gears, Eaton Electric Locker, Superlift rock rings, Superlift steering stabalizer, hardtop, full set of Husky Liners, matching spare, Jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper 54" with light bar, and Warn 6" flares,
Flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #32
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I emailed Auburn, and this is what they said:

The clutches ultimately provide the locking action. However, unlike
limited-slip clutches, the wear is minimal since limited-slip clutch wear
really occurs with high-speed clutch slippage. When properly used, the
clutches in the ECTED will not be subjected to high-speed clutch
slippage since it can be locked in when in demanding traction situations.
Through the years of testing and development, clutch wear has not been an
issue. We do, however, offer replacement clutches if needed.

So it sounds like if you lock it, and dont let the tires spin, the cluthces should be fine. Makes sense becasue clutches only wear when they are spinning at different speeds. So in the front, it will only be used while in 4WD, so clutch wear shouldnt be much of an issue. I just wish there was someone who has used it for 50,000 miles, and can agree.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #33
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

They seem very conservative about the clutch issue... so I wouldn't be concerned...

I was asking them about the infinitely adjustable thing and they said that the Dana 30, 35 and in-development 44 application is too small for that mechanism and it's actually slightly different, and is literally an on/off unit. Dana 60 is unknown at this point.

They said they had looked at offering a variable switch but their concern is that if the user doesn't have it locked up enough, there will be too much slippage, which would be accelerated clutch wear. It sounds to me like they want to make damn sure that clutch wear isn't a significant durability issue.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #34
Flyingbrass

I chose it because nobody else makes an electric locker for the Dana 30. Why not honor those pioneers by giving them a chance? I'll try to test it this weekend but there needs to be some mud and we've got no rain.
2004 Flame Red Unlimited, 4"Superlift suspension lift, 33" BFG MT's, Pro Comp Extreme Alloys 1079's, 4.56 gears, Eaton Electric Locker, Superlift rock rings, Superlift steering stabalizer, hardtop, full set of Husky Liners, matching spare, Jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper 54" with light bar, and Warn 6" flares,
Flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #35
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

After reading this thread, I think I am going to get one for the 35 in the back of my ZJ. It seems like it will give me much more traction than I have now, and since I don't do extreme wheeling every weekend, (more like 4x/year) I don't think I'll have much trouble wearing it out.
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #36
AJ33pB

Hi guys, Im in Sydney Australia, and i gettin the Eaton E-locker for the rear (d44) and a Auburn Ected for the front (d30). Will let you hh it all goes, gettin fitted up at end of Feb. also getting teralow231 and super short sye fitted up too, and 4.56's onto the lockers.

cheers
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #37
Lawdodge
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I see that this post is pushing almost a year old. I just wanted to check and see if there was any update on the ECTED. How has everyone liked them. Any issues? I have an 04 LJ and am looking into options for the front and rear. I like the thought of a e-locker/LSD, but everyone I talk to has told me to go with the ever so expensive ARB.
Are there any issues running the ECTED in the front axle. The jeep is used 80% around town, 20% off road.
Mine - 2004 Unlimited Red 5.7L HEMI, NV241 4:1, RE 5.5" Long Arm, 35's on Champion Beadlocks, MetalCloak fenders and front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, 4.88's, ARB's, Alloy 33 spline D44 shafts, HP44 hybrid front w/ WJ outers, D44 rear ... and to much more .
RED JEEP CLUB #436
Lawdodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #38
EHUPP01
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am enjoying my OX lockers just my .

In Memory
"Lets Roll"
EHUPP01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #39
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

One thing to beware of: The passenger side side gear in the ected only meshes about 1/2 inch on the spline of the axle. To much skinny pedal and you just strip the end of the spline. Gess how I know? On the other hand, when I complained about this to auburn, they sent me 30 spline side gears free of charge (although they also told me I couldn't install them myself, they had to do it on a special jig. I did install them, but its not for the faint of heart, and you have to have a lot of patience). Now the axle is not the weak link, I busted the ring gear.
mustangtoby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #40
jpkenny

I have the ECTED front and rear on my TJ 30/44. I am very happy with them
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #41
MudDuck1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the Super35 with the Auburn ECTED installed in my 97 TJ. It would lockup fine, but sometimes it would not unlock. The big problem that I had was when I would turn really sharp it would make a really loud "POP". It sounded like it was shearing a spline off of the axel or something. I only drove it about a week. After talking to Auburn's Tech Dept. it was determined that the unit was bad. They gave me a credit for what I paid for the locker and I upgraded to an OX. They said once I have the OX installed I can just return the ECTED (along with a auth# they gave me). Their service is great and I think they stand behind their product, however I don't have a lot of faith in their product. It will end up costing me double the install cost, which would have been about as much as going with the OX in the first place. Some have had good luck with them, but I've talked to several who have had problems and I am one who have had first hand experience. Good luck!
MudDuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #42
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Still love mine. I have three Moab trips and over 40 Colorado trail runs with it.

My Ected is up front and I also have an Ox in the rear. Once I had the Ox set properly, it has been awesome.

Thumbs up to either one.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #43
Lawdodge
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the updates... still not sure which unit to go with, but any info helps.
Mine - 2004 Unlimited Red 5.7L HEMI, NV241 4:1, RE 5.5" Long Arm, 35's on Champion Beadlocks, MetalCloak fenders and front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, 4.88's, ARB's, Alloy 33 spline D44 shafts, HP44 hybrid front w/ WJ outers, D44 rear ... and to much more .
RED JEEP CLUB #436
Lawdodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #44
MudDuck1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Auburn Ected

After a few test runs with the OX locker in the rear (and Detroit True trac up front) I have to say that I love the OX. If you're really wanting a selectable locker the OX is definatley a good choice and in my opinion, worth the extra money!
MudDuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #45
EHUPP01
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDuck1
After a few test runs with the OX locker in the rear (and Detroit True trac up front) I have to say that I love the OX. If you're really wanting a selectable locker the OX is definatley a good choice and in my opinion, worth the extra money!
X2

In Memory
"Lets Roll"
EHUPP01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.