Auburn ECTED? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Auburn ECTED?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #16
hvac59

The design concept is a novel one and I like it a lot. It does have inherant maintenance requirements, such as clutch life. Some act as though pulling a carrier assembly is like having a double root canal ! To the point though, why would a ARB, E-Locker, etc...... be better in regards to having lees maintenance ? Thats one I have'nt quite figured out yet. Not nocking their products whatsoever, by no means. Just first hand experiance with the later products has shown that there is not a 100% engagementdisengagement factor in all conditions. Not a big deal, but ECTED's design does not depend on alignment of mechanical dogs or pins to bias. Thats my soap box on this design and I would very much like to try it knowing full well that it's going to a) need ten amps per axle b)require clutch pack replacements c) slip at torque loads that are typically higher than stresses I put on my rig and if it does slip, at least it probally won't pop an axle.
hvac59

White 09 JK "X"
hvac59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Still can't figure out one thing. After the clutches wear out, when you flip the switch will it lock?
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #18
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac59
... To the point though, why would a ARB, E-Locker, etc...... be better in regards to having lees maintenance ?...
I think anything that requires less maintenance is a good thing.

Replacing clutches just seems like an inconvenience to me. Sure its not that tough of a job. But what concerns me would be how quick can you get the parts.

And if you choose to participate in Auburn's exchange program, how quick will they get you a newly rebuilt diff? What if this diff is being used in your DD? Can you wait 2 weeks for shipping times?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #19
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskis
Still can't figure out one thing. After the clutches wear out, when you flip the switch will it lock?
According to my sources (guys at Reider Racing), it will not lock if the clutches are worn out.

But I'd call Auburn directly if you want a definite, reliable answer.
Unread 06-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #20
GlennH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZep
I guess it is not as reliable as a good old detroit for crawling, but there are some good advantages
1. For those of us who want a selectable locker, daily drivers who see wheelin every so often(jeeps are great because they are just as fun to cruise in, top down, lookin down at super dutys!)
2. they are a selectable locker at 550$!!!!!!! not 700-900 + cables or stupid useless compressors that die if u use them for tools or airing up/down
3. the lsds really are nice in winter, rain. No more fishtailing on acceleration at lights
4. Believe it or not, there are those of us who do all their wheeling on our dana 35's (i have 33's and dont want/need bigger tires) I do not think they make an E-locker for the 35(I MAY be wrong, but I looked first) My super35 kit in my yj lasted 3 years, and i like the skinny pedal(in my 4cyl) No probs.
You mention LSDs are good for winter, rain etc. I live in a city where winter is 6-8months a year and it rains alot in the summer. Im having such a hard time choosing a locker. Everyone on this message board says a selectable is the only way but you mention LSDs. With that in mind give me feedback on the Detroit TRUETRAC LSD Locker. I had my mind set on the Eaton E-Locker but for a D44 its impossible to find. Im still looking to date.
GlennH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:52 AM   #21
JamboreeTJ
1946 CJ2A 

Don't you love how they are available for the D35 and not D44? I can't figure out why they don't launch the D44 version first. Must be they think that the TracLok is too much competition.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #22
XJMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboreeTJ
Don't you love how they are available for the D35 and not D44? I can't figure out why they don't launch the D44 version first. Must be they think that the TracLok is too much competition.
Probably because the number of D35's that came under a Jeep outnumbers D44's since the 44 is an "optional" axle. To be profitable Auburn had to serve the majority first. Not saying the D35 is a great axle at all but let's face it, their odds of selling more D35 ECTED's than D44 ECTED's is dictated solely by the larger number of D35's running on the road. I'm sure that played a very large role in their decision to produce the D35 carrier first.
XJMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #23
GlennH

What LSD lockers are out there for the D44?
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #24
JamboreeTJ
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH
What LSD lockers are out there for the D44?
Not enough. I'm waiting to regear my D44 w/ trakloc until there are some options. ECTED looks like a good option if it ever actually comes out for D44.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #25
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why the need for LSD if you can be locked by pushing a button?

My locker is open when off and I actually prefer it that way. Its very predictable when driving on slick roads. The tire that does not spin almost acts like an anchor and keeps you tracking straight. With a limited slip, you'll spin both rear tires at the same time in certain situations, so both tires lose traction rather than just one.

I've had just about every differential possible in the rear of my TJ. It started as an open D35. Then when I regeared it, I put a Trac Lok in. This was done during the winter time and it was quickly apparent that it handled better with the open diff.

I should add that this is based on my experience with a clutch based limited slip. It may be different with a better limited slip, such as the gear driven Truetrac.
Unread 06-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #26
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For an article on installing, it check out this months Petersons 4wheel & off-road. They put it in the back of a Suburban.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2006, 04:31 PM   #27
GlennH

wheelin98tj, you also got the 8.8 with the eaton. Id like the eaton but for a D44 its hard to come by. Ive spoke to mike @ the rockshop and hes going to check stock friday.
Unread 06-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #28
TJZep

glenn, the truetrac is not a lsd/locker, it is just an lsd...no locking capabilities. Great for winter street, or maybe even trails, but you need to be a pedal whiz on rocks or off camber with a wheel in the air to get it to snag the other wheel(clutxh/gas/brake at same time!!) a hand throttle might help, but get an elocker, or wait until they have a ected for the 44(probably soon)
TJZep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #29
GlennH

thanks much!
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #30
hvac59

Auburn has indicated a "cross in the air program", not that I would be in favor of pulling a ring gear for a clutch replacement. I think the intent of it is to make other repairs more accessable while not having to pick and choose replacement parts. Don't think I'm saying Auburn makes a good unit, because I have no first hand experiance yet. All I'm saying is it a good concept, even down to the exchange program for rebuilds/minor repairs. As for the maintenance required, I think ones style of wheeling would have to bias that decision(as long as it's not a turd and needs clutches every year), but to have a super smooth lock/unlock in any condition and a little less tendancey to pop a axle may be enough of a selling point to keep a production run going. I don't think the technology will ever get as resiliant as ARB's. Just puts another tangent on the options for traction components for a set of circumstances that rock crawlers or street queens don't require.
hvac59
White 09 JK "X"
hvac59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.