Auburn ECTED? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Auburn ECTED?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 04-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Auburn ECTED?

what does everyone think about this locker? Is there any history about this company or style of locker? I have been interested in the eaton elocker, but off-road adventures just had a write up about the auburn ECTED that piqued my interest. thoughts?

Unread 04-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
FlexyTJ

Auburn has made diffs for quite some time. The ECTED is a relatively new product. It is not a true locker because it still uses the clutches when "locked". And rumor has it that with time, the "locking" capabilities diminish as the clutch packs wear out. Technically it is a very high bias limited slip. Check out the Eaton if you want true E- locking capabilities.
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i was wondering about the full locking capability using clutches. but according to the graphs on their website it will be 100% locked without a doubt, though i agree that it could wear out eventually. but if it's anything like a regular clutch, the replacement parts are cheap, and i bet the install wouldn't be all that hard. i mean, a stick shift clutch is fully locked when engaged!
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
silvergreentj
2007 JK Wrangler 

it should be easy on the pocketbook to replace the worn out clutch packs, i agree with flexy tj, its just another fancy limited slip, we all know about the trac-loc and how easy the clutch packs where out...its about having to take apart your carrier everytime a clutch wears out. same with my quic-lock upfront, once the springs where out i have replacements, the only problem is time

go e-locker, i know someone is going to say screw that, there are shorts, but then they say air locker, but the lines can tear or burn, then ox-locker, but i've seen cables not function or rip, so i guess anyway you look at it, do whats best for YOU!

Low Life-87 slammed e30
silvergreentj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i am thinking about an electric locker. i know there are upsides and downsides to this choice, but i think it is the best for me! i read this somewhere...
"The Eaton locks up by stopping the DS spider gear with steel pins that lock the spider rotation to the ring gear. The drivers side spider gear than has to transfer ALL the torque by turning the DS shaft in it and transfer torque via it's teeth to the PS drive shaft. Looks like the DS spider gear could be put under tremendous stress." ...so people have had gear teeth break. would the ECTED be any stronger? how often do the clutch packs wear out in the trac-loc?
Unread 04-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with what the other have said about the ECTED. Its not a locker and Auburn never referres to it as one. It can slip even in the fully locked mode. Just talk to someone who has used one and they'll tell you this.

As for rebuilding the diff, you can just send it in and pay $125 and they'll send you a rebuilt diff in return. Its a nice service, but not very practical or convenient for most people.

I've been running an Eaton E-Locker for over 2 yrs now and it has worked perfectly. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a selectable locker.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by base shakers
i am thinking about an electric locker. i know there are upsides and downsides to this choice, but i think it is the best for me! i read this somewhere...
"The Eaton locks up by stopping the DS spider gear with steel pins that lock the spider rotation to the ring gear. The drivers side spider gear than has to transfer ALL the torque by turning the DS shaft in it and transfer torque via it's teeth to the PS drive shaft. Looks like the DS spider gear could be put under tremendous stress." ...so people have had gear teeth break. would the ECTED be any stronger? how often do the clutch packs wear out in the trac-loc?
That is DS side gear not spider gear. I assume they make that thang out of a little better metal than the stock ones.
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm confused. I've read: "The Auburn Gear Ected uses a switch operated electromagnetic ring retained under one of the bearing caps inside the differential housing. The ring activates a pilot cone that causes bearing balls to ramp up against the side gear and lock up the differential."

and

"When activated, the current to the coil creates a magnetic field which pulls the cone into frictional engagement with the differential case. The frictional torque created by the cone casues the balls to ride up the ramp machined into the side gear. The lateral movement of the side gear applies a force onto the center block. That load is transmitted from the block to the opposite side gear, compressing the clutch pack."

So it sounds like it truely locks, but will the locking feature wear out, or will just the LSD feature wear out?

It sounds similar to the Elocker which has been described as:
"The Eaton ELocker uses a switch operated electromagnet to create friction with an armature, forcing ball bearings to ramp up and push locking pins into the back of a side gear, locking the differential."

So isn't the ECTED the same basic thing as the Elocker, but with electronic LSD feature?
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

The puzzling thing I've read is that the ECTED is supposed to be "infinitely variable" - and there is a relationship between the voltage supplied and the LSD percentage.

If that's the case - I'd quite like to have a rotary dial rather than an on-off switch.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
trailraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
The puzzling thing I've read is that the ECTED is supposed to be "infinitely variable" - and there is a relationship between the voltage supplied and the LSD percentage.

If that's the case - I'd quite like to have a rotary dial rather than an on-off switch.
Can never leave anything alone can you?
Unread 06-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
kenskis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2OTE
in my buddy's Ranger he has a knob that allow him to adjust how limited the limited slip is.
Found that quote in a "Auburn ECTED" thread. I wonder if it's like that in a Wrangler, which has a different computer system, no ABS etc. My main concern is that the locking mechanism relies on clutches, and could wear out. I can't find a definitive answer. There seems to be a grey area between what the LSD part relies on, and what the locker part relies on.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Red 03 TJ sport l OME lift l ARB's front & rear l 4.11 gears l 32X11.50" MTR's l Nth Degree Tummy Tucker l SYE & CV l Nth Degree Dana 44 slider l Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid l JKS adjustable front track bar l KC slimlights l Rock Rails l IPF H4 headlights l Dynamat
kenskis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
TJZep

I have these in both diffs. Granted, i DO NOT see rocks very often. I use my lockers very sparingly when going up (or down) loose packed hills in trails. It does not rely on the clutches to lock it. it uses an electromagnet to pull a cone/bearing setup together to spool it. The clutches only see real use when open, due to it being a lsd when off. I guess it is not as reliable as a good old detroit for crawling, but there are some good advantages
1. For those of us who want a selectable locker, daily drivers who see wheelin every so often(jeeps are great because they are just as fun to cruise in, top down, lookin down at super dutys!)
2. they are a selectable locker at 550$!!!!!!! not 700-900 + cables or stupid useless compressors that die if u use them for tools or airing up/down
3. the lsds really are nice in winter, rain. No more fishtailing on acceleration at lights
4. Believe it or not, there are those of us who do all their wheeling on our dana 35's (i have 33's and dont want/need bigger tires) I do not think they make an E-locker for the 35(I MAY be wrong, but I looked first) My super35 kit in my yj lasted 3 years, and i like the skinny pedal(in my 4cyl) No probs.

NOW...I admit I only have had them a couple months, and they have seen limited use. we shall see what time will tell, but for now i love them. I think they are good option for those of us running smaller setups who do minor wheeling. If I had moab type places to wheel(I'm in CT) I would probably have a D60 with 513s and ox lockers or arb, running on 35's or bigger, but my 2.5 tj with 488s on 33's is a perfectly capable weekend wheeler. Plus it is just fun to drive!!
Just my honest opinion, from someone who owns the product.
TJZep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
TJZep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenskis

So isn't the ECTED the same basic thing as the Elocker, but with electronic LSD feature?
As far as I know they are very close to the same thing. They just started making them for the jeep axles(d44/35/30) so they are not tested. People always hate new products, especially when they trust what they have used. remeber when the first tjs rolled off the line? I had friends that said "who wants to wheel on coils??) Nuff said.
TJZep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #14
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraider
Can never leave anything alone can you?
Nope

I probably won't attempt to integrate it with traction control and automatically detect wheel slip to increase the locker... but it's possible

I'll be happy with a little dial I can turn though... and I can make it all pretty like the Landrovers with a little icons for street, rain, sand, mud and rocks
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #15
hvac59

The design concept is a novel one and I like it a lot. It does have inherant maintenance requirements, such as clutch life. Some act as though pulling a carrier assembly is like having a double root canal ! To the point though, why would a ARB, E-Locker, etc...... be better in regards to having lees maintenance ? Thats one I have'nt quite figured out yet. Not nocking their products whatsoever, by no means. Just first hand experiance with the later products has shown that there is not a 100% engagementdisengagement factor in all conditions. Not a big deal, but ECTED's design does not depend on alignment of mechanical dogs or pins to bias. Thats my soap box on this design and I would very much like to try it knowing full well that it's going to a) need ten amps per axle b)require clutch pack replacements c) slip at torque loads that are typically higher than stresses I put on my rig and if it does slip, at least it probally won't pop an axle.
hvac59
White 09 JK "X"
hvac59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.