ARB Locker- Oil w/ friction modifier in it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > ARB Locker- Oil w/ friction modifier in it?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 01-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ARB Locker- Oil w/ friction modifier in it?

I just changed gear oil in my TJ. When adding oil back to it, I took a 1/2 used bottle of oil with friction modifier added to it, and threw it in the diff with the rest of the standard oil (no friction modifier in it). I pulled it out of the garage and parked it then thought nothing of it. Literally drove it 20-25 feet and parked it.

After researching today, my studying has shown that ARB recommends that I use regular gear oil, and to NOT use an oil with a friction modifier. Because of this, I will be changing the diff oil. (Probably borderline OCD, but it is what it is)

My question is: is it worth my time to take everything apart and clean the entire axle out for 1/2qt of friction modified gear oil? Should I just drain it, and put in the correct oil?

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

I have done many ARB's and even repaired quite a few from instal mistakes, i don't see why you would have to run out and drop the oil.

There is no need for friction modifiers, but it still should have a good hypoid type gear oil.

Unless something about the friction modifier make up attacks the seal or o-ring of the ARB i wouldn't worry about it

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.