Is anyone running propane? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Is anyone running propane?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-21-2004, 07:17 PM   #1
rhino1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is anyone running propane?

I want to run propane on my CJ. I will be running a 350 with around 11:1 compression, I understand that propane burns at 110 octane. Has anyone done this conversion? I have read about junkyard swaps and new parts out of the magazines. Whats up with this project?

rhino1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
wes19d
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for my ignorance but I have always believed that propane was only used for desiel engines. If I am incorrect please feel free to educate me.

Wes
Unread 12-29-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
Mr_Munt

Don't waste your time or money, My family has been in the propane business for 65 years and you will not be happy, we don't even run propane in our trucks anymore due to the lack of power and crappy starting when it get cold. I could go on and on but won't bore you, Just don't do it.
Mr_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
rhino1
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks, but yes you can run propane instead of gas, you just have to replace the carb and get a few extra parts.
rhino1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
danmc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino1
thanks, but yes you can run propane instead of gas, you just have to replace the carb and get a few extra parts.
What's the advantage of propane? Cheaper? I obviously don't know anything about it either.
danmc77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
75SV1

I work at one of the major diesel engine manufactures. I did ask around on converting to CNG and propane a few months back. From my source, with a direct conversion, no internal mods (cam change, C/R bump) you would loose at least 10% of your power if not more. Propane cost as much as gas does in most areas. I think in some regions (Texas and Alberta Canada), it might be cheaper and feasable to convert. Propane has a higher octane rating. So you could increase you compression ratio. This leads into as to why Diesel motors are converted, they already have a high C/R 18:1 and up. They do need a new head though for spark plugs. The reason you see diesels converted to propane is for emmissions. You will mainly find them on commutor busses in big cities.
I did check out CNG, there would have been a savings, but limited infrasturcture where I live. OK and CA have more than a few stations. Still, figure about $200 savings for every 15K of miles. Also at least a 10% loss of HP, and a loss of range.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
artsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1
I work at one of the major diesel engine manufactures. I did ask around on converting to CNG and propane a few months back. From my source, with a direct conversion, no internal mods (cam change, C/R bump) you would loose at least 10% of your power if not more. Propane cost as much as gas does in most areas. I think in some regions (Texas and Alberta Canada), it might be cheaper and feasable to convert. Propane has a higher octane rating. So you could increase you compression ratio. This leads into as to why Diesel motors are converted, they already have a high C/R 18:1 and up. They do need a new head though for spark plugs. The reason you see diesels converted to propane is for emmissions. You will mainly find them on commutor busses in big cities.
I did check out CNG, there would have been a savings, but limited infrasturcture where I live. OK and CA have more than a few stations. Still, figure about $200 savings for every 15K of miles. Also at least a 10% loss of HP, and a loss of range.
Tom
Go join the yahoo strokers group and ask there- some stroker set ups have like a 12:1 CR --So there are deffinatly folks doing it over there
1995 XJ ,2x4 / Rusty's intake w kn filter/ Home brew cold air box/99 intake/ 62mm bored out TB/ MSD wires/MSD 6a/MSD blaster coil/Clifford headers/2.5" mandrel bent downpipe/magnaflow hi-flow cat/2.5" mandrel bent catback w/dynomax super turbo muffler/ 3 core xtreme radiator/hi-flow water pump
HD rear springs and daystar budget boost
artsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The primary advantage with propane is emissions. This is why you see fork lifts and other internial combustion work rigs running propane around indoors. However, for outdoor use, propane preforms poorly.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #9
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Contact JP magazine for a back issue. Last issue, they had a feature on propane conversion. You might also want to check out these websites www.propanecarbs.com, www.propaneguy.com, and www.alternatefuelsracing.com.
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #10
JamesH

Over here in England quite a few people run vehicles on propane (or Liquified Petroleum Gas - LPG as it is labelled here). My '98 XJ 4.0l was converted recently and runs fine with only a tiny loss in power ~10%

It's quite common in several european countries -Italy, Netherlands, UK because petrol/gas is 80 pence per litre = $5.70 per gallon and propane/LPG is half the price or less! (In UK anyway.)

I can only speak for my UK experiences and do not know what conversion equipment is available in US. My kit is manufactured by OMVL and other common kits here include Prinz, Iwema & Startech - Sorry I don't have web addresses for the manufacturers to hand.
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.