Anyone with a Rochester carb? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Anyone with a Rochester carb?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 05-07-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
Zeke

Anyone with a Rochester carb?

I read all about putting a Rochester carb on my 258, and I finally got mine. Took a couple of weeks because of the guys at AutoZone.

Anyway, I'm in the process of installing it, and I had a couple questions for anyone who had done it already.

1) I bought a Rochester 2GC because I thought those were manual choke, but mine came with an automatic choke. Were some automatic? Also, can I run the automatic choke?

2) What is that threaded hole at the back of the carb near the bottom, and what should I do with it?

Other than that, it looks good. Just have to work on fabricating a throttle linkage and a choke linkage. Thanks for any help you can give.

Zeke

Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2002, 10:04 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If the choke is an electric one simply connect it to the ignition side of the ignition switch(or through an ignition activated fuse in the fuse box). If it is a heated vacuum style,run a piece of brake line from the choke to the exhaust. Wrap it around the (header)exhaust pipe or manifold and run it back up to the air cleaner(inside the element) via a rubber vacuum hose. This provides the bi metal coil with heat.As for the threated hole,It's an auxiliary vacuum port. Simply plug it with a threated pipe plug and forget about it.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 06:35 AM   #3
Zeke

Thanks for the advice, it was just what I was looking for.

My choke is a heated vacuum one. I assume I also run a vacuum line from any source of vacuum to the choke, right? There seems to be a place for that to come in. I'm guessing the bigger threaded hole that comes right into the choke is for the heated air and the little nipple right next to the choke is for the vacuum.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The vacuum comes from the choke housing,simply hook a steel line to the choke port(big threaded hole on choke) and wrap it around the exhaust(which heats the air), and run a rubber hose from the steel line to the air filter.The nipple is probably an aux. vac. port. There are about a billion different configurations of this carb so it is hard to tell,it might help if you can post a picture.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.