Anyone know if I can get a 205F thermostat for a 4L engine? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Anyone know if I can get a 205F thermostat for a 4L engine?

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

205F thermostats that fit 4L Jeeps.

Stant and Napa offer a 205F stat that will fit 4L Jeeps, but I don't recommend them.
Stant opens 5F colder than stated-rated, according to tests another Jeep Forum member did in a pot of boiling water and using a thermometer). This defeats my purpose. So I don't want Stant.

Stant makes Napa thermostats. So I don't want Napa either.
Gates 33010 is listed as fitting Jeeps with 258 CI engine, and 2003-2006 Wranglers with 4L. I think this fits all Jeeps with 4L.

ACDelco 12TP1F listed as fitting all Jeeps with 258 CI, and all Jeeps with 4L. This fits all 4L Jeeps.

Note: there are other brands that make 205F thermostats that fit 4L Jeeps. Easiest way to find them is enter 2003 to 2006 Jeep Wrangler as vehicle type. Then find that brand's 205F thermostat for Wrangler of those years, and it will (probably) fit any Jeep 4L engine. However, the ACDelco 12TP1F is good. So no need to look further.

Unread 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Same topic being discussed for cars in general here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-15631.html See post 5 in that thread at other forum where guys posts: "For fuel economy warmer engine is better. For power warmer engine and cold air intake."

I agree with that statement, except I'd say that warmer engine and electric engine fan(s) each help fuel economy, and the combination helps fuel economy a lot. Warmer engine and cold intake air helps power, and electric fan(s) also help power.

Initially I'm just changing the stat to 205F because that is cheap and easy and will gain me 2 to 3 mpg most of the year. Later I will install dual electric fans. Maybe some day I'll also install a cold air intake.
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Special thanks to Jnicewan and Cruiser54.

I finally remembered that last time I put a 205F thermostat in a 4L Jeep (2006 LJ) it was a Napa 383 stat. It was somewhat effective at improving gas mileage, but the ACDelco 12TP1F will work better and give more gas mileage improvement.

Here is why: Napa thermostats are made by Stant, and Stant thermostats open 5F below their rated temp. So Stant 205F is really a 200F, and a Stant 195F is really a 190F, and so on. Same for Napa stats.

The ACDelco 205F will open at 205F. So warmer and more mpg improvement than the Napa stat I used on last Jeep.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ACDelco 12TP1F is on indefinite back order and might not be made again, according to local Baxter Auto Parts. Baxter dicked me around for 6+ weeks waiting for the back ordered stat, instead of finding out it's discontinued. Thanks a lot Baxter Auto Parts!

I finally called local GM-Chevy dealer to buy it from the dealership. The dealer parts guy looked it up, and then told me that ACDelco 12TP1F stat is no longer made (discontinued).

===

I could buy a Napa 383 205F thermostat, but I see two problems with it, IMO. It's one of Napa's cheaper stats that lacks a valve to vent trapped air. Without an air vent valve in stat, temps can fluctuate a lot during first 20 min of driving, IME, especially in Winter. Napa Premium stats are better, and have the air vent, but Premium is not available in 205F. Only cheapo available in 205F, The other problem is it's a Napa stat made by Stant. Stant thermostats were tested by another JF member (he boiled water in pot and used thermometer) and he found Stant stats open 5F early. So it's really a 200F, which would be a slight temp increase (improvement) over stock OEM 195F stat, but not enough, IMO. That and no air valve made me reject the Napa 383 205F stat.

===

I was able to order a Gates 33010 thermostat from RockAuto.com for $3.67 + $3.14 shipping. It's cross referenced to work in Jeep 4L engines and it is 205F. It is well made and includes a valve to vent trapped air.

Here is a link to the Gates 33010 205F stat https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...php?pk=1145433

Once the Gates 33010 stat (205F) arrives, I'll get it installed in my 4L Jeep engine and this project will be done. This would have been done weeks ago, if not for Baxter Auto Part having me wait for a back ordered ACDelco 12TP1F stat (205F) that is discontinued and will never arrive. Baxter wasted weeks of my time.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Get an 83501426AC stat from an honest dealer for $23.35 and be done with it.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Get an 83501426AC stat from an honest dealer for $23.35 and be done with it.
That's a factory OME Mopar thermostat, I see after Googling. What temp does it open? I assume it's a 195F.

I already ordered a 205F Gates 33010 from RockAuto.com.
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking forward to installing my 205F Gates 33010 stat I ordered from RockAuto.com.
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got my Gates 205F thermostat installed this week. So far so awesome!

I haven't had tine to retest gas mileage yet, but I have noticed the gas guage needle isn't dropping as fast.

It also idles smoother.

Running 205F to 210F, according to dash temp guage. Typically 208F.
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #24
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My gas mileage at 60 mph has improved from 16 mpg to 21 mpg. I think that's good for 30 x 9.5 R15 tires that are on the low end of acceptable street pressure.

New plugs, wires, cap and rotor didn't make much difference.

My latest tweaks were motorvac (similar idea as Seafoam), a new oxygen sensor, and a 205F thermostat. Since all 3 of those things were done at same time, I don't know how much gas mileage increase came from each mod.

I do know that on an LJ in the past I had a 205F stat put in and gained approx 2.5 mpg. So I assume that my XJ gained around 2.5 mpg from the 205F stat.

I think the other 2.5 mpg improvement is from the motorvac, the oxygen sensor, or both. Not sure.

Prior to replacing the oxygen sensor, it was tested by a Napa car care center. They told me the oxygen sensor was fine, but I insisted they replace it.

Power at mid rpm has improved some too.
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tomorrow my cousin and I will be installing a high flow cold air intake.

I hope to gain another 2 mpg from that.
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #26
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Motorvac is lightyears better than a Seafoam treatment.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #27
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you check your operational temps before and/or after with something more substantial than a dash gauge like a Scangauge or similar?
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #28
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Motorvac is lightyears better than a Seafoam treatment.
Motorvac worked good for me.
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #29
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
Did you check your operational temps before and/or after with something more substantial than a dash gauge like a Scangauge or similar?
No I didn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.