Any old-timers ever seen this before? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Any old-timers ever seen this before?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any old-timers ever seen this before?

In the process of tracking down a vibration issues, I came across this.

And after

Look at the shape of the old splines against the shape of the new....

WTF!?

The POs setup of 37's with automatic lockers on an 8.8 was evidently a little harsh.

Anyone ever seen this sort of thing before?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
HandsOn

Seen it before, but it's been half of forever since. Not that common, but that's maybe because things brake long before they get to that point!
What condition were the pinion splines in? Good still? At least they're good enough that the new yoke is tight, but wondering if they took a beating worth noting.
Possible that the pinion nut was not torqued to spec, or loosened up on it's own and let things get a bit out of hand, but I suppose just applying too much torque (engine-wise) to the axle with 37" tires was enough to distort a perhaps not sufficiently heat-treated yoke. All kinds of possibilities!

Anyway, glad you got it diagnosed and fixed. Now, if only all funny noises/feelings were that easy to fix!

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The pinion spines were visibly ok, but I still get buzzing over 60mph that I assume has something to do with it.

The front pinion doesn't have the same play, but it still has a decent vibration at higher speeds that I attribute to the same issue. (I'm locked in the front so the DS spins)

It appears that a couple differential builds may be some time in my future. I assume a yoke can't take that much abuse and leave the pinion completely unharmed. Ah well, time for an OX, ha ha.

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Not an uncommon issue. I have not only seen yokes wear, but slip joints get so bad that they ratchet under load. My daughters 8.8 has a worn yoke that looks much like your vid. Know that the yoke is made of softer metal than the pinion, so I wouldn't get too excited about a R+P swap yet.
As for the buzz, might check the rest of the drivelines/front axle for fazing, wear, or bad u joints.
Excessive lift can cause vibrations as well.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Not an uncommon issue. I have not only seen yokes wear, but slip joints get so bad that they ratchet under load. My daughters 8.8 has a worn yoke that looks much like your vid. Know that the yoke is made of softer metal than the pinion, so I wouldn't get too excited about a R+P swap yet.
As for the buzz, might check the rest of the drivelines/front axle for fazing, wear, or bad u joints.
Excessive lift can cause vibrations as well.
Well that's good to know. I've still have yet to chase down the vibration, but I've already balanced the DS twice, checked and rechecked angles (with a number of variations) and checked for movement, etc. So I'm not sure what it could be. I still have to do a tire rotation, though. It doesn't feel like that, but I'm usually wrong, ha ha.

The front DS just got put back in and is giving me some major vibes now too (only 3" lift and just rebuilt/balanced the shaft) so I might just break my promise to myself and buy a yoke for the front. Converting to u-bolts would be nice anyhow.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.