Antifreeze -- Does it ever go bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Antifreeze -- Does it ever go bad?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Cisco93jeepYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Antifreeze -- Does it ever go bad?

I found an old container of "Prestone II Winter Antifreeze Summer Coolant" in my garage that looks like it's from the 80s. I'm thinking about pouring it in my Jeep.

Does antifreeze ever go bad?

Unread 05-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have some vintage 80's antifreeze also that I have been using in various engines that takes green.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Cisco93jeepYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good too know, thanks. I think I have a coolant leak, so my system has been (mostly) flushed for me!
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
HELLSUNICORN

If its from a sealed container you should be fine
HELLSUNICORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

pour some in your pups bowl...if he acts a bit strange and has a mild case of the no breathers then it is still good....

Seriously though, I've never heard of anti-freeze going "Bad" or expiring.
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

the antifreeze in my resovior is brown, is that okay??? hahaha
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
aewalters
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Just make sure it's the correct color, green+orange=new motor
There's something about speeding through the woods, getting bogged down in mud holes and lurching over fallen logs that's good for the soul. Time flies when all we can think about are the four tires underneath us and how we are going manage to get through the next obstacle on the trail. We take each challenge as it comes. We get stuck, we get out. We break something, we fix it. We come out dirty, bruised, and exhausted... but we're smiling.[/QUOTE]
aewalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewalters View Post
But mine is red! The factory filled it with red

Most times you buy it in a green color though so yeah, as long as it's not a really abnormal color such as brown are some tint towards it should be good.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
odinseye84
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewalters View Post
Im curious to know how mixing colors would cause your engine to blow?
odinseye84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just go universal

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
aewalters
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinseye84

Im curious to know how mixing colors would cause your engine to blow?
I can't think of the exact chemical names off the top of my head but they have a different chemical makeup and when mixed they react and produce a brown sludge/gell that gums up all of the coolant ports in your engine, not to mention water pump, radiator and coolant lines. If you go to an autoparts store and buy "dexcool"(orange) And what I call traditional (green) just mix the two together and you will see what im talking about. But they also sell universal fluid which does not react with green or orange. Traditional is most commonly yellow, originally designed to be topoff fluid but it has evolved to be used as more than just top off fluid. Why the two kinds? As car manufacturers realized people don't change fluids as often as they should they started to develop a fluid that lasts much longer than the traditional green coolant, thus was born dexcool(orange) a new organic fluid thy could last up to 100,000 miles without being changed. But why not just not run dexcool in every car? Once traditional has been used in a system that system is forever destined to be traditional, not even flushing the system multiple times can render it safe for dexcool. and once green and orange are mixed you have only days to flush your system before the damage is done, not even flushing the system 6 times and refilling with correct fluid will clean out all of the sludge once the two have been mixed for more than a week
There's something about speeding through the woods, getting bogged down in mud holes and lurching over fallen logs that's good for the soul. Time flies when all we can think about are the four tires underneath us and how we are going manage to get through the next obstacle on the trail. We take each challenge as it comes. We get stuck, we get out. We break something, we fix it. We come out dirty, bruised, and exhausted... but we're smiling.[/QUOTE]
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
aewalters
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty sure red is universal... Haven't seen it before lol
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can test the antifreeze with a test strip. Napa has them. I'd defiantly shake it up before testing and using it. I'm sure that the Silicates have settled to the bottom of the jug.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #14
Cisco93jeepYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Poured it in. Now I have to figure out where my leak is. Any tips on pinpointing coolant leak locations?
Unread 06-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #15
aewalters
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco93jeepYJ
Poured it in. Now I have to figure out where my leak is. Any tips on pinpointing coolant leak locations?
Make sure all hose connections are tight, and check for any places a hose might be contacting metal as that will cause chafing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.