Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Amsoil

3K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Ridin' Around 
#1 ·
What is your take on this oil? :thumbsup: :thumbdown:

#11 ·
i love it i have had it for 6000 miles and never a change in oil pressure and i use to run crappy high mileage oil that would have to be changed every 3000 miles im thinking i can easily push it to 7500 on one change i will have it in my transmission diffs and transfer case this summer once i do the fluid changes but its def great for the engine top notch im always gonna run it in my vehicles now

#13 ·
No prob Gibs...

The one guy I get from has a Diesel Ford Van and he said he changes the oil once a year. He also sends a sample of the oil out every change to get it analyzed and it always comes back good. I was blown away about the fact that he only changes it ONCE a year. Amazing...

#15 ·
Thanks.

As for is it worth is, well there are several professional rockcrawling teams that use NOTHING but Amsoil. Dustin/Becca Webster from Red Bull Rockcrawlers use it exclusively and they change the oil in the engine after about 11hours of run time regardless, so they go thru alot!!!!

Let me know if I can help.

Dirk

#16 ·
Here is a question concerning oils. I know this is a amsoil thread, but which is better Amsoil or Royal Purple? Or are they even in the same catagories? Like comparing apples to oranges? I am curious because I have not had any dealings with either one. All I have ever used is like Penzoil, Quaker state, etc. What are your thoughts and views about each brand respectively?

#21 ·
but one thing i can tell is that penzoil is crap, and dont use it.
Based on what?

I have several vehicles that are older than you that have had nothing but Pennzoil put in them and they still run just fine.

Back on topic.....Although I do not use Amsoil, mainly because I don't agree with their pyramid scheme selling methods, I can say that I know those that use it with good results. I have a friend that owns a transporting company. He told me that one of his Chevy diesel pickups has 420k miles on it using Amsoil and only changing it every 25k miles. His '03 Harley Ultra has 60k on it. He only changes the oil in it every 10k miles. While I cringe at the thoughts of extending oil changes like that, I can say that I've seen it work well for him. Maybe if Amsoil is ever sold in the stores, I might give it a try.

#18 ·
I hate pop into an Amsoil thread, but along the same lines what is everyone's opinion on running synthetic in an engine that has never seen it before? It's a 5.2L with 131k on it. I know on some of the other boards that I frequent everyone cautions starting synthetics at high mileage due potential weaking of seals, etc.

I normally run Castrol no matter what but prefer to run synthetic with a good filter (not a Fram) since I drive about 30k-35k per year.

#19 ·
There are several good Amsoil dealers on this forum, some are very open in saying that they are dealers (like myself) and others prefer to just be members. If any of you would like specific recommendations for your vehicles, please PM me or any of the other dealers.
I think the hardest thing for most people to understand is that a 3000 mile oil change is a waste of money and resources.
Amsoil has been doing a 25,000 mile drain interval on automotive engines for nearly 35 years. I have a 99 Grand 4.7L with over 110k. We didn't switch it over until after it rolled 60k. I have seen none of the problems that like to be thrown around when people discuss synthetics. I am on a 25,000 mile extended drain interval. I have done 3 samples since switching over and all have come back acceptable, no change needed. I run the Amsoil EAo synthetic media filter. I am running a 0w-30 oil that is guaranteed by Amsoil to a 35,000 mile drain interval, but we have switched at 25k both times when we change filters.
As far as those who are not convinced that switching can save you $$, do the math: an average oil change runs say 25 bucks, you do that at 5000 miles lets say, thats $125 for 25k. An Amsoil oil change may cost you up to $75 for a synthetic filter and the best oil at full price. That's 50 bucks in your pocket still. Not to mention the time you spend at the oil change place, or the impact on the environment from the extra 5 gallons (5 quarts x 4 drains) of oil that you need to get rid of. And Amsoil is made of 100% synthetic base stocks (group IV) that come from AMERICAN sources. This reduces our dependance on foreign oil. Wave your patriotic flag here!
You can buy Amsoil cheaper if you are a Preffered Customer (PC) This cost $20 bucks annually but saves you 20-30%. If you are going to do a couple of vehicles this more than pays for itself.
As far as other brands of synthetics, I am not one to bad mouth other products as a rule. There are other types of synthetics on the market. Those which say "Fully Synthetic" come from a class III base stock and can have less than pure ingredients. Then there is synthetic "blended" oil. No where do they tell you what they are pumpin' into that bottle!
I will attach the GEAR LUBE WHITE PAPER for you to look at. this shows several brands of oil and how they faired in this test. keep in mind this is the gear oil one I have an engine oil one also that I will try to find. Take a read and let's get a good discussion going here!
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

#20 ·
if u look at the experiments that amsoil does on alot of the top oils they show royal purple is good in a lot of areas but they had some flawed ones too amsoil jus had the best all around

#23 ·
I have used Amsoil in quads, bikes, vans, cars, trucks, my Jeep on and on, I have done this for several years. I never had an issue with Amsoil, but there are a few things that stood out for me and why I am running Chevron lubricants exclusively currently, but Chevron is not the topic. I can go into this in detail if someone wants to hear but I'll spare the novel for now, LOL!

Go for it, Amsoil is indeed a good product, just make sure if it's engine oil you're after and you're on warranty, regardless of type III or IV based stocks, you want the 'ole round API certification stamp that it meets and exceeds OEM, such as this for example

........ and not the one that look is supposed to look like it, as here

I'd put my money the 2nd oil is a superior group IV based oil and probly the better oil since the XL is a group III, but since it was only tested in house by Amsoil, it is only recommended, it does not meet/exceed. OEM can decline warranty in this case, choose accordingly eh!

#25 ·
I read the link, very detailed but it only states why Amsoil shoud be considered without being tested by an impartial lab, and to rest assured, to trust, Amsoil's choice to save money and not approve the certain motor oils.

1/3rd way down page 4...........How does Amsoil ensure the oils meet and exceed?...........

-Without the API tag, it doesn't. Period. Use whatever brand, but it must be proper viscocity, service intervals must be as outlined by OEM, and it must meet/exceed.

If I brought in a truck with engine failure and it was related to a 20,000mile interval or the oil didn't meet/or exceed, printing out that document wouldn't do anything in my favor. My local Ford dealer would no doubt void warranty on these grounds, absolutely. Recommending doesn't trump meet/exceed.

#26 ·
Mind you, just to clarify, I like Amsoil products, and I do not doubt the fact they very well may be some of the best oil's available, but the paper trail doesnt back it. This is my concern, not the oil. Good thing IMO Amsoil has all the newer vehicle oil's API approved anyway. Win-win.

#27 ·
See this is what I'm talking about...
1. you have to have an engine failure.
2. it has to be a lubrication problem that is directly to blame on the Amsoil lubricant used. Not a parts failure, The Engine Manuf has to be able to prove this without doubt.
3. Then Amsoil's warranty will cover the engine failure through Amsoil's warranty.
The paper trail is there in the document I posted. Between that and The Maguson-Moss act (Federal legislation) the engine manuf. cannot dictate to you your oil preferences. I go through this over and over on these forums.:brickwall

#28 ·
I see, this is getting good. Run with me on this one please. And no head-banging, I understand exactly what you're saying.;)

So, example, the Manuf says warranty is declined, let's say Ford, and the UOA comes back in Amsoil's favor. How is this going to be clarified, and whom from Ford is going to listen. Whom from Amsoil is going to aid the customer, how exactly do we explain to Ford they're wrong. Will Amsoil cover a complete engine swap, courtesy car through the process that will take up a gross amount of time if court is involved, possibly court fees to help with the costs if they won't be recovered? What exactly would be the difference going this route compared to, say, using an API-approved oil and OEM service interval that the OEM recognizes and honors, bypassing this whole ordeal.

What I'm saying, you have a scored cylinder wall or a flattened cam lobe, an un-approved motor oil or the service interval isn't on par, Ford stops caring right here. It's up to the customer and Amsoil to prove Ford wrong, and who's inconvenienced in the process.......... who wants to deal with that.

I'm not trying to be a meat-pipe or anything, I do like Amsoil, I'm just bringing attention to the issues that would concern me eh!:cheers2:

#29 ·
My local napa sells it here in Gettysburg... but yea I tried it for the first time this last oil change, got it for about 5 bucks a quart... dont notice any difference over mobil 1 both cost about the same...

I always heard great things about amsoil and royal purple though.

#33 ·
This is for all you guys who are skeptical about buying Amsoil because of its price. For 30 bucks a year you can become a dealer yourself, the best part about being a dealer is that there are no buying or selling requirements. That means that you can become a dealer just so you can pay dealer cost for great products! If you use Amsoil in all your vehicles you will make up the annual fee in savings! dealer cost is about 20% less than retail. Here is the link for those of you who are interested.

http://www.amsoil.com/amsoillogin/leads.aspx

#34 ·
Or shoot me a PM I would be glad to sign anybody as a dealer and help get them started. Don't want to be a dealer? Pay 20 bucks for a Preffered Customer membership and still buy at dealer cost. PM or email me at ORDERAMSOIL@AOL.COM for more details. As gas prices keep going up, more people are looking for any way to save some bucks that they can get ahold of and Amsoil can help:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.