AMC 360 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > AMC 360 questions

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 12-30-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
cj7kevin
1978 CJ7 

AMC 360 questions

I have a 78 cj7 that i have completely rebuilt from the frame up. Rebuilt t150 trans. The 304 engine in my jeep is in need of rebuild or replacement. It has an oil leak from the rear main that i cant seem to get rid of. I have even replaced the main bearings in hopes that this would solve the problem. But now it leaks only when it is cold. I also think it has little blow-by. I could live with that for now but not the leak.
I have access to a complete 360 from the bellhousing forward at a resonable price. The engine does not use or leak oil. I could purchase this engine and drop it in or maybe save to rebuild it first.

My question is, since this is a daily driver jeep what kind of gas mileage could i get out of the 360 with my 3.56 gears? The 304 i have is getting around 16 to 18mpg.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the oil leak from my 304?

look out for #1 and try not to step in #2. -Rodney Dangerfield
cj7kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2001, 12:16 PM   #2
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I would guess 14-16.
That's pure speculation though. I'm getting a miserable 8mpg with mine, but it's a 3-speed auto, 4bbl, 5000 pound truck with 4.11 gears.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2002, 04:33 PM   #3
BurlyJ10

My mom has an 82 CJ5 with a 4 in lift and 33's with a 360 in it and she gets around 14-18 in town id say. its real easy for that engine to push that light car around economilcally. Im not sure of her gear setup but it is the stock gearing. Having driven her car, id say go for it. You will love the performance and the gas mileage aint bad either. Hope this helps.
burlyj10
K&N Filter, Custom 3" exhaust
Interior mods= Sunpro tach, clarion stereo, Clarion 6-1/2 coaxials, polk tweeters,two alpine 10" subs
Proud member of the "Creepers Jeepers Gang" of Durango CO, my home town.
BurlyJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2002, 05:27 PM   #4
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The BEST I've gotten with mine has been 11 mpg! I also have an auto, 4-bbl, 33s, and 4:11s
Unread 01-10-2002, 04:58 PM   #5
BurlyJ10

Dang, thats about what i get in town out of my J10 with 32's, a 360 ,a t-18 4spd and 4.10's. I get 7-11mpg around town(depending on how im driving . best ive ever had was 13.7 on the highway, but for me thats 60mph and about 2900-3000 rpm.

Bill, i hear if ya take the chuck of lead out of the soul of your right shoe it helps gas mileage!
But, i suppose if you got it why not use it huh?
K&N Filter, Custom 3" exhaust
Interior mods= Sunpro tach, clarion stereo, Clarion 6-1/2 coaxials, polk tweeters,two alpine 10" subs
Proud member of the "Creepers Jeepers Gang" of Durango CO, my home town.
BurlyJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.