AMC 360 oil pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > AMC 360 oil pressure

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
jeepdawg3
1982 CJ7 

AMC 360 oil pressure

I know this has been covered probably a thousand times, but here goes. Just finished building an AMC 360 for my 82 CJ7. I am running about 16 lbs oil pressure at hot idle. Does this sound like enough?

jeepdawg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Did you check the pressure with a mechanical guage? 16PSI at hot idle is within specs but the minimum spec is 13psi at 600RPM. Also above 1600RPM oil pressure should be 37-75PSI. Most people would consider that pressure normal as long as you are seeing a decent increase with RPM.

I am not too keen on the AMC V8's but I think these were known to have oil pump problems, and cover wear. Also most aftermarket gaskets are a little thicker than they should be which gives the oil pump gears a little more end play which could lead to pressure problems. Before jumping to conclusions there are a few basic things and small things that could be giving you fits, one is the oil filter, a lot of people have narrowed oil pressure problems down to using cheap (orange) oil filters.

Check out this website, it has a lot of products that address some of the oiling problems with AMC's
bulltear
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
jeepdawg3
1982 CJ7 

I am using a mechanical gauge. Currently have a Champion oil filter but I'm gonna change to a Wix when I do the oil change at 500 miles. It runs 55-60 lbs at highway speeds which seems to be fine. Just a little concerned with the hot idle pressure.
jeepdawg3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.