AMC 304 or chevy 350 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > AMC 304 or chevy 350

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-22-2001, 11:26 AM   #1
Brendan

AMC 304 or chevy 350

I have an 88YJ with the 258 and Puegot POS. I want more power, preferabbly an 8. I'm only sixteen, so money is a factor, and complexity as well. I will most likely rebuild, and swap the engine myself. Any opinions are appreciated.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2001, 08:58 PM   #2
CJ junky

You will have to upgrade the transmission also. The puegot are junk and don,t not last with the stock 6 cylinder let alone a v8. Have you considered a chevy 4.3 v6? They have plenty of power and are easy to find. I suggest you take measurements of your trans/transfer case/bellhousing first. Next go to your salvage yard and see if they have a engine/trans/transfer from a chevy s10 4x4. This combination would be a simpler drop in since they use the same transfer case and the transmission is able to handle the power. Also you will have a lighter jeep since the chevy engine is about 150 pounds lighter.JP magazine has a write up about this set up. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP JEEPIN.
CJ junky is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.