Alternator Whine! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Alternator Whine!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-29-2002, 11:13 PM   #1
Willis91YJ

Alternator Whine!

You know that noise that drives you crazy when the bearing or bushing or whatever the hell begins to wear on the alternator well I've got it. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the bearing without replacing the entire alternator because Mine tests out fine and actually puts out 15.3 volts so I really can't complain its just that that noise drives me batty. Let me know if anyone knows whats up
Willis

Oh sorry fellas its a 91' YJ with a brand new 4.0!

Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:27 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Most alt. bearing's are replacable. There is a number on the bearing, either on the outer race or on the grease seal. take that number to your local bearing house and they should be able to fix you up. PS you might want to check if it is over charging, 15+V is pretty high, sometimes those alternators wine when charging hard.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #3
Willis91YJ

Jeepdaddy,
Thanks bud I'll check into it and let you know.
Willis
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Unread 02-19-2002, 06:43 PM   #4
Mwrangler29

You may want to try tightening the belt before you do the other stuff. I had that problem with my Blazer and i thought I tightened it good but it still had the Noise. Had a friend try it and he tightened it better and it was all good after that!
Soft top
Top 5 sports rack
Bestop Seat covers
31x10.50 Dunlop Mudders
Mwrangler29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2002, 10:27 PM   #5
Willis91YJ

Hey fellas,
Thanks for the ideas, but I am pretty sure after screwing with the belt that the bearing is shot! I'll try and get time to pull the bearing this weekend and see if I can finda anewone. Thanks again
Willis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.